Replacing First Alert 120c with Interlogix NX-8E

Old 11-18-16, 05:05 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing First Alert 120c with Interlogix NX-8E

Hello everyone,

Late last year, I moved to a home with a First Alert 120c security system that's currently not being monitored by a central station. At the time, I signed up for Frontpoint with an all-in-one system that uses an Interlogix/GE Simon XT and wireless sensors. The Frontpoint system works well, but I wanted to see if I can utilize some of the hardwiring that's already here from the old First Alert system + its sensors by replacing the control panel with a Interlogix NX-8E panel and keypads. The NX-8E offers a GSM alarm.com module option that would be similar to the one that's embedded in the Simon XT, so in theory, I should be able to use that with the Frontpoint system.

So my question is: would it be possible to re-use the old wiring and sensors with a different vendor of control panel? The current cabling is labeled with #s and I found a sheet of paper indicating what sensor the cables belong to. If this is posible, how hard is it to buy the NX-8E, power supply + keypads and configure the system by myself?

Any tips or recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-19-16, 09:08 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know about GE products but, I do know that a 2GIG all-in-one panel can make use of wired sensors by using the Takeover module. That being said, you could get some wireless devices and connect the wired devices to them.

If you go the 2GIG route you will also want to use a power supply [SMP3, as an example].

Cannot use N/O devices on it [e.g. smokes, heats, etc].

Old 11-20-16, 08:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
Hardwired door/window contacts, motions, and glassbreaks are simply switches and relays, and are basically interchangeable. The wireless devices that you have will also work with the wireless receiver that the NX systems use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: