DSC 4 wire smoke not alarming

Old 11-22-16, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC 4 wire smoke not alarming

I have a DSC 1832 hardwire system and just tested the zones with AlarmRelay. Everything worked fine, except I can't get the FSA410 (4 wire with RM-1) to initiate an alarm. The magnet is causing the unit to indicate that it has tripped, but the panel does not recognize. I don't test my system often, but it has worked in the past. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-16, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Simple test: With the alarm monitoring in test (of course), use a wire jumper to short the alarm wires at the device (the two terminals labeled "alarm relay".

If you get an alarm that way, the next test would be to try to trip the smoke with the canned test "smoke" you can get from the home center.

If it works with both of those, then the problem may be that the magnetic test mechanism is what's failed. If the smoke is more than 8-10 years old, it's probably due for a replacement.

Manual: http://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=16756

Old 11-22-16, 08:54 PM
Thx. I will give that a try.

Old 12-08-16, 03:20 PM
I closed the circuit with a jumper and the panel did alarm. I retested with the magnet and the unit went into alarm mode but no panel detection (as before). I then performed a smoke test with a couple of burning matches and the unit went into alarm mode that was detected by the panel. Seems strange to me?

Old 12-08-16, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
The magnet test mechanism is parallel to the sensing chamber, so it's possible for it to fail without the basic functionality of the detector being compromised.

Again, if the detector is more than 8-10 years old, it's on borrowed time.