DSC PC1832 Zone Expander wrong reading

Old 11-25-16, 06:20 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC PC1832 Zone Expander wrong reading

I just added two zone expanders to my DSC PC1832 system, and programmed the zones (in sections 001 and 002) as type 26 - 24 hour non alarm for testing. Unfortunately, the system doesn't appear to be reading the expanders properly. All the zones on the first expander are showing open, and all the zones on the second expander, except for two, are showing closed. None of them seem to respond to changes in the sensor status.

The REALLY odd thing is that on the second expander, zone 23 shows closed and zone 24 shows open - but both of those zones have nothing on them. Literally - I have a length of bare wire run from each zone to where the sensor will be, but the wires aren't terminated. I was expecting to get an error on those zones until I connected the sensor, but that one shows open and one shows closed has me completely befuddled.

I could see perhaps having mis-wired something, but to have mis-wired all the sensors on the first expander one way (such that they always show open) and mis-wired all the sensors on the second expander in a different way (such that they always show closed) is beyond credibility.

What could cause this sort of inconsistent behavior? Is there something I need to program for it to read the expanders correctly? Bad wiring between the expanders and the main board? Something else?

Old 11-26-16, 07:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 133 Votes on 123 Posts
Assuming that you are using PC5108 expanders; what are the settings you have on the jumpers on each board?

Have you turned on these zones for the partition in programming locations 202-209?

Do you have the system set for EOL or NC loops?

Old 11-26-16, 09:06 AM
I
The first board has jumpers on 1 and 3, the second board has jumpers on 2 and 3. Section 903 shows zones 9-16 and 17-24, so apparently the system is detecting that correctly.

I turned on all partitions in sections 202-204. Only turning on partition 1, oddly (to me) didn't get the zones to show up on my touchscreen keypad, even though partition 1 is the only partition I am using. Turning them on for all partitions, however, worked.

System is set for single EOL resistors, however with the inconsistent behavior I am seeing I'm not sure how this setting being wrong could cause the issues - it should be either all or nothing, I would think, not the mixed bag I am seeing.

One possibility: I do have wireless zones programmed for zones 9-11. Could this be hopelessly confusing the system?

Old 11-26-16, 03:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Possibly. While you can overlap wireless zones with the panel's base hardwired zones, I'm not sure that the hardwire expanders and the wireless zones will play nicely together.

Start with all of your zones closed with just the EOL resistor. That will eliminate the variable of the field wiring having an issue. I've seen people chase their tail fooling with programming when the issue turned out to be a wiring problem...

Old 11-26-16, 05:07 PM
I
Right. Seems odd that I could have mis-wired all five zones I connected on one expander wrong one way, and all three of the zones I have connected on the second on wrong in a completely different way, such that the results are opposite - not to mention getting different results on two zones that aren't even hooked up at all. That said, going back to the basics and double-checking everything, starting with just a simple resistor to verify basic operation - as you said - does seem to be the next step.

Is there any module wiring that could explain things? Like a loose ground or something? Or would that simply prevent the expanders from working at all?

Old 11-26-16, 06:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Assuming that you eliminate wiring as an issue. The most likely remaining cause would be the zone type programming not being what you think it to be. Like I said, make it work without wires before you connect field wiring.

Old 11-27-16, 08:53 AM
I
Understood, and I'll certainly spend some time experimenting, but doesn't the fact that I have two zones with nothing connected showing closed essentially eliminate wiring as the trouble? That is, there is no wiring on those zones, so they can't be wired wrong, and with no wiring, they should be showing open - but they aren't.

That said, I'll slap a resistor across the other zones that are showing open, and see if that makes them show closed, as well as completely disconnecting the zones that show closed (other than the two that are already disconnected, of course) to see if that makes them show open.

Old 11-27-16, 09:29 AM
I
Ok, now I'm really confused. As an initial test I physically removed the zone expanders from the system, and ran a 902 supervisory reset. Verified that the system did not see any zone expanders. However, the zone status for zones 9-24 did not change - some still show open while others show closed. Huh?

Old 11-27-16, 09:59 AM
I
Oh, for the love of... now I feel REALLY stupid. The whole problem was that I had the jumpers on the two expanders *backwards* of where I thought they were. So what I was thinking were zones 9-16 were actually zones 17-24, and visa-versa. In actuality, everything was working fine - I was just looking at the wrong zones in my expectations. Sigh. Sorry for the trouble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: