Need to install new security system

Old 12-01-16, 07:00 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to install new security system

I need some recommendations.

I am well versed in setting up a GE Concord 4 security system. Put one in my house (with lots of help from this forum!) a few years ago and a few in friends houses. But that was all about 5-7 years ago.

Every back then it seemed that the Concord was kind of "outdated" but what do I know. I'm not in the business of security systems, I just like to tinker.

Anyway. Another friend needs a new security system installed in his new house. I'm comfortable with the Concord but I'm not sure if I should put it in. I don't seem to find a lot of Concord components/sensors on the web like I used to (but maybe I'm not looking as hard).

It's a pretty basic system. Cellular monitoring/internet back up with AlarmRelay. 5-6 Motions and 3-5 door sensors, and a few glass breaks. I need 2 keypads and 1 indoor siren, 1 outdoor siren. All 1 partition, no scheduling, etc, etc.

Should I bite the bullet and piece a system together since I'm comfortable with it? Or try something new?

Thanks!!

Old 12-01-16, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
It's always nice to try something new and exciting but that brings along new programming methods and steps that need to be learned.

This systems I install are programmed with a laptop and those programs are constantly changing.

Old 12-02-16, 03:07 AM
D
What would you recommend then? The Concord I could walk away with all new parts for less than $1000.

Old 12-02-16, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
The only keyboard programmable system I like and use is the Vista 20.

Old 12-02-16, 04:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
If your goal is ease of use for the end user; the DSC Power series panels are pretty flexible, not any more difficult to program than the Concord, and have a fairly simple end-user interface.

Old 12-04-16, 07:41 AM
S
A Honeywell Vista-21iP is an 8-zone wired system with an integrated IP communicator you could use for monitoring and/or Total Connect 2.0 interactive services.

The 21iP supports cellular (using snap-on VISTA-GSM4G communicator), extra zones (using 4219 for 8 more wired zone or 5881EN(L/M/H) for wireless zones)and Z-Wave integration (using Tuxedo Touch WIFI keypad or VAM).

It depends on how many zones you plan to use and if they will be wired or wireless or both, but I'd assume you could get a complete system for less than $1k.

You would have to learn a new type of programming as each manufacturer does it differently but if it's been 5-7 years since you programmed the Concord, you'd probably have to re-learn most of that anyway. If you go with the fancier Tuxedo Touch keypad it does have a touchscreen display with a more user friendly programming mode which might be worth considering.

Old 12-04-16, 10:05 AM
D
Do you have a good source to purchase from? Or just piece it together where ever the best prices are found?

Old 12-04-16, 12:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
Name brand security alarm hardware is essentially a commodity item (at the direct purchase level). Buy from the vendor that you deem most trustworthy that has the hardware you want, at the price you are willing to pay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: