DSC 1832 alarm goes after power restored

Old 12-07-16, 03:53 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC 1832 alarm goes after power restored

I have a DSC 1832 based system that is goes off sometimes after a power failure here in Costa Rica. The system is new. It is using a wireless keypad. Is there a system option to do this? Any thoughts on how to isolate the issue further?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-16, 12:12 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
Out of curiosity, what part of Costa Rica? I'm semi-familiar with the construction of houses on the Nicoya peninsula on the northwest coast, and the work of a company based in Tamarindo. They used the same DSC equipment that we use in North America, all wireless sensors, but they did install wired keypads. I personally would be worried about not having at least one wired keypad in a system.

Power failures should not cause problems in your system unless they're extended, like more than 12 hours, or long enough to drain the battery. If you have frequent extended power-outs, you should mention it, and you should have extra backup battery so it doesn't drain to the point of reduced voltage. The ideal size of your backup battery would not drain down to less than 75% of your rated battery capacity during power outages. Power outages were frequent in the part of Costa Rica I was familiar with and I installed two 7Ah batteries as backup for the panel.

When your system "goes off" after a power failure, does it sound the loud siren or just the keypad sounding? What displays on your keypad? Is there an alarm on a zone, and if there is, WHAT ZONE? and what's on that zone? And is it wireless or wired?

I'm afraid I don't understand your question, "Is there a system option to do this?" To do what?

And since your system is new, I assume you're pressing your installing company to fix your problem. If you do have frequent extended power failures in your area, a local company should be aware of it and should have recommended a larger backup battery when it was sold to you.

Old 12-07-16, 01:47 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm in southern CR near the pacific - near Uvita. I bought the system as components and did the programming myself. I was a programmer for over 20 years, so it wasn't difficult.

Now that I think about it, there is no reason to have a system option to set off the alarm after the power is restored after a power outage, so forget about that question.

The keypad is wired to the main board, but it is a wireless keypad RFK5500. The motions and door contacts are wireless.

The keypad reported the alarm on zone 12 which is hooked up to a wireless repeater. It didn't make much sense. After the last alarm event I disabled the tamper switch option on the repeater to see if that was causing the problem.

I have a 7ah battery hooked up, and the power failure was less than an hour, so I'm sure the system did not drain the battery, however, I think I will put another one in parallel to give it a longer time. The last time it happened it was 3am and I didn't know if we had "guests" or something else was wrong, so I just waited for a while and turned off the alarm with my key fob.

Thanks for responding.

Old 12-08-16, 12:30 PM
C
Received 43 Votes on 40 Posts
For future reference reference, in the alarm industry jargon, we refer to a wired keypad with RF Receiver incorporated, as an "RF Keypad"; and we refer to a keypad that sends and receives its data via RF signals as a "wireless keypad". Wireless keypads, as we use the term, aren't wired to the control panel and normally have their own power supply, including their own backup battery.

I know, it's totally arbitrary, (and I've never even liked the word "wireless" instead of "RF") but that's what the jargon is and I use it so we all are speaking the same dialect.

My best guess for your alarms is that something about line power returning is causing your repeater to drop out momentarily. I'm guessing your repeater has its own AC power transformer and backup battery, smaller than the panel control battery. If so, check the backup time on that and make sure it's adequate.

To be honest, I'm a lot more familiar with Honeywell/Ademco panels and peripherals than I am with DSC equipment. There's probably a DSC guru on here who knows something about this that I don't. Give a little time for someone else to weigh in.

Old 12-08-16, 04:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
That sounds like power failure on the repeater module. It only takes a moderate power glitch to make such an incidence happen.

Old 12-09-16, 08:30 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It sounds like the keypad detects the missing repeater, before the repeater has a chance to fully reboot after a power failure ....... thinking the repeater may have been tampered with, the alarm is triggered.

The alarm system, keypad and repeater should be on battery backups. It's possible you have a defective battery. As a general rule, you should replace all the batteries on a regular basis, otherwise one will fail when you really need it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: