Driveway Camera

Old 12-19-16, 11:19 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Driveway Camera

Id like to create a system that would allow my wife to view our driveway from either a small under cabinet kitchen TV or her Android smartphone. Due to the design of our house and the hill on which it sits, we are not able to see the driveway from the rooms we're typically in. I know of two options: a wireless outdoor WiFi security camera or a wired outdoor CCTV camera. Id prefer to stay away from the wired camera just to avoid the cabling hassles.

Between our router and where the camera would be positioned lie two interior and two exterior walls; the distance is about 85 feet. I see all kinds of claims for transmission distance on wireless cameras. I question the validity of those numbers and tend to regard them more as marketing BS than real-world empirical data (sorryIm an engineer). We dont need a fancy camera. Im just looking for fairly wide viewing angle, IR night vision, outdoor duty, wireless.

Are there WiFi cameras that will link directly to a smart phone without needing a wireless router? What are my options for connecting with a TV? I need to know all the boxes and gadgets I would need to make this work. If I have too many obstacles or too much distance between the camera and our router can I get some kind of amplifying repeater that I can place near the camera to strengthen the signal? Im looking for a simple solution.

Old 12-19-16, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Just a quick fact..... even a wireless camera needs a power wire.

Old 12-19-16, 05:18 PM
B
120 Volts is not a problem. This camera will be mounted on a trim board on the garage. Just a short distance away is a motion detector for our driveway lights. I'm almost certain that operates on 120 Volts.

Old 12-20-16, 05:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 121 Posts
In my experience, wireless cameras, especially at the lower price range, can be a little hit and miss. 80+ feet for a wireless IP camera model is almost certainly going to be unreliable.

Look for wireless camera models that have their own dedicated receiver, and the receiver is what will make the connection to your network. The viewer app generally comes with, or can be downloaded for such systems.

The pickings for this kind of configuration are slim, because the performance for them tends to be spotty, at best...

Old 12-20-16, 06:15 PM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
The only questionable item I see here is the 85'. I use a relatively cheap Swann old model 440 and WIFI and it works well. I use a pan and tilt but you don't need that. DLink makes very inexpensive units and again several members of my family use them as outside units. There are many free phone apps. An old computer will suffice as a monitor and you can set it to never go to sleep. You can spend as little as $50 on up, the sky is the limit. If money is a concern check out e-Bay for starters.

Old 12-21-16, 09:38 AM
B
MrRon,

I have no need to make a connection to our network. Are there any cameras that wirelessly transmit a video stream to a receiver that I could then plug into an existing TV? That distance is probably more like 35 or 40 feet.

Norm,

I don't have room to use an old computer as a monitor. I need to use either an existing undercabinet TV or smartphone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I need to revisit the idea of running a cable and using a wired camera. What kind of output does the camera need in order to be fed into a TV without needing any other system components? Or do I need to buy some kind of receiver/demodulator/converter with a wired camera?

Old 12-21-16, 11:14 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
OK, look. What RonFL says is the best idea. But if you need to go cheap then just an ordinary WIFI cam will do the job. Use your existing computer to periodically view the driveway, or set up alarms to alert you when someone pulls in. Can't get any cheaper than that. If you get iSpy app (it's free) for PC it can run in the back ground during regular computer use. I currently have 6 cams running on iSpy and still use computer to do other things.

Old 12-21-16, 02:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 121 Posts
This will probably do what you want. It has a standard RCA jack output that can connect into the component video input on any relatively modern TV.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Securitym...hod=p13n#about

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: