wireless smokes and heat detectors

Old 12-24-16, 11:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wireless smokes and heat detectors

Hello,
Massachusetts law states any new construction/remodeling have to have hardwired interconnected smoke/CO detectors. I'm having garage also built so I need head detectors in it. Interconnecting can be done wirelessly and I was thinking of going with Nest smokes/CO since it would save me time and money not having to run 3 wire to interconnect them since they can communicate wirelessly. My problem is how to interconnect heat detectors to the smoke detectors, since Nest doesn't make a wirelessly connected heat detector. I searched and from what I can tell no one makes one either. So does any one have any ideas on how to handle this? Or is my only option to run 3 wire to old part of house, new addition as well as garage.

Any info would be greatly appreciate

Thanks

Old 12-24-16, 12:48 PM
T
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
You're about to kick a badger in the backside. Stay away from wireless in the garage and save yourself a lot of frustration and money. Low temperature limit for wireless is pretty much 40 F and I'm betting your garage will get colder. Violating manufacturer's installation instructions (like installing it in an area outside the stated temperature range) voids the listing and an inspector can turn it down. Not to mention headaches from persistent low-battery conditions every time it gets really cold.

If the same Mass. code that specifically calls for hard-wired smokes, also calls for a heat detector in the garage, I'd guess they'll say "No" before you can finish your question.

Old 12-24-16, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Battery powered devices in an unheated garage is definitely a problem.
I'm guessing this is an attached garage as detached does not require protection.

Your best bet is to stay with a wired system and use conventional hardwired devices.

Old 12-24-16, 04:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 130 Votes on 121 Posts
If you are building new; my advice is to put in the hardwire infrastructure, install the hardwired interconnect devices; and if you desire, supplement them with the NEST devices.

Far fewer code compliance complications, and better overall reliability; and less chance of ending up with orphaned tech attached to your home (I've seen too many variations on wireless tech come and go).

Old 12-25-16, 07:54 AM
S
Thanks Guys,
Happy Holidays

Old 12-26-16, 06:24 AM
I'd say trying to make wireless work in your case will definitely be more of a headache (in the long term) than just wiring it all up.

I mean wiring will probably take you an afternoon's work at worst and (provided you didn't make any glaring mistake) is pretty much guaranteed to get you through the inspection. Why make it harder than it has to be?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: