What to do with older security system?

Old 12-28-16, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with older security system?

I just bought a house that has non-functional wired security system from the 80s. I haven't checked what's wrong with the system but the previous owner didn't use it and told me it doesn't work. I have no manuals, no codes, nothing. Just three control panels throughout the house and bunch of ancient looking sensors. The problem is that the house is only wired on the first floor. Second floor has only motion sensor (no window sensors). What would you recommend doing with this system?

1. Get it working
2. Get it working and upgrade to wireless capabilities for the second floor?
3. Remove it and get newer system?
4. Other?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-16, 08:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You still can upgrade to a new system and keep most of your existing sensors.. you don't need to remove everything its already there.

In order to give more details we need to know what system do you have?

Old 12-28-16, 08:53 AM
All I was able to figure out from the labels that it is Moose Z1100 system. Most likely from the late 80s.

Old 12-28-16, 09:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lets see if this system still working, but first we need to identify wish z1100?

To identify which Z1100 model you have, open the main control box. Check the faceplate of the main circuit board for the following:
•Z1100 System I reads “Z1100 Security Control”
•Z1100 System II reads “Z1100 System II Security Control”
•Z1100e reads “Z1100e Security Control”.

Then I’ll explain how to access programming mode.

Old 12-28-16, 10:00 AM
Thanks for replying. It may take me a while to pry the door of the box since I doubt I have the key. Will try today in the evening and report back.

Old 12-28-16, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
The Z1100 was a top of the line system, in it's day, but has been discontinued for at least 10-15 years, and is _not_ compatible with most modern monitoring and wireless options. You can reuse the hardwired contacts, and things like the motions; but realize that any powered devices are likely a little long in the tooth (contacts are just dumb switches).

You really should start fresh with a new control and keypad(s).

Old 12-28-16, 09:13 PM
I also have a moose z1100 that has recently died. I am replacing it with a honeywell vista 20p and an eyezon envisalink 3, along with one 6160RF and two 6150 keypads. I have one motion (which may be bad anyway, as it was acting weird before the board went out), a lot of door sensors, and 3 fire/smoke sensors. Will all of those (that are still good) work with the honeywell? Also, will the siren and battery work with the honeywell? I have no idea what kind of siren I have, or even where it is.

Old 12-29-16, 02:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
All of that stuff is generally industry standard stuff, and will work, as long as it doesn't have any issues due to age. If that battery is more than 3-5 years old, it's pretty much on borrowed time.

Old 12-29-16, 05:40 AM
I couldn't open the control panel door yesterday. So if I were to reuse just the wires, I could get new sensors and control board from a newer system? What about the keypads that I have all over the house? They have to be changed as well, correct?

Old 12-29-16, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Keypads are specific to the alarm control brand/model line. You have to get new ones that match the alarm control.

Old 12-30-16, 04:09 AM
I think I am just going to remove the system and get wireless one instead. If I can only reuse wires, then it may not make much sense to start swapping everything since the old system doesn't even cover the whole house. It is not like we really need an advanced security system where we live. Something that will warn about movement in the house or fire/flood would be sufficient.

Old 12-30-16, 02:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As has been pointed out, the actual door/window contacts are perfectly usable (they can and do fail from age); and there is a huge price difference. Even if you have to replace hardwired contacts, you are talking 5-10 dollars a set; while each wireless transmitter is going to be 30-45 dollars per opening you protect, at its cheapest.

Old 12-31-16, 04:03 PM
If you already have wires run for the system, even if just for the first floor as you mentioned, keeping them is a very positive thing to do. Wireless systems aren't all they're cracked up to be in the only reason they are pushed just because there much easier to install, especially in an aftermarket situation. Wired systems have many advantages and really no major disadvantages. You may want to add wireless sensors to the 2nd floor in some areas although in reality 2nd floor windows are not very accessible on most homes.