Alarm for Landslide

Old 01-25-17, 06:25 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alarm for Landslide

My parents had a landslide that is threatening their home. They are going to have to relocate their house but it will take some time to achieve that. They are staying in the house but are worried that there will be further slumping, they are very concerned about it happening at night while they are sleeping.

I want to set up an alarm that will signal that there has been more slope lost.

I envision a stake near the house and one at the edge of the slope with a wire or sensor shooting between them. When the slope slumps the connection is broken and an alarm sounds.

The solution needs to be:

All weather (Wisconsin)
Alarm sounds inside of the house
Loud
Can provide 110v power

Thank you for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-17, 06:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
Hmmmm, kinda tricky, but I think it can be done.

There is a security switch made to be a string/wire trip switch, and it's pretty weather resistant:
http://www.grisk.com/images/product_...rip_switch.pdf

You could use that to trigger a relay to trip some sort of horn, or even hook it up to a security system zone.

Old 01-25-17, 06:54 PM
P
Thanks, that could work. We could protect it in a box if it's not 100% weatherproof. They don't have a security system, could you recommend a siren and any other parts necessary to complete the project. Thanks again.

Old 01-26-17, 02:46 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
There are also wireless sensors that monitor glass breakage. I'm not sure exactly what trips them but when a window is broken that movement sets them off. The electronics to receive that signal and sound an alarm shouldn't be all that expensive and could probably handle several sensors.

Just a thought.

Bud

Old 01-26-17, 03:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
Simply because it's safer, go with 12 volt devices. In addition to the switch:

You need a relay: ELK-924 Sensitive Relay

You need a siren: ELK-SS30 Two Tone Self-Contained Siren, Exterior

You need a power supply: ELK-P1216 12 Volts DC 1500 mA DC Plug-in Power Supply

Not knowing your basic circuit knowledge, it is a fairly simple relay configuration.

Old 01-26-17, 03:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Reading responses with curiosity. Exactly how much time do you think there will be before the landslide envelopes the house and takes it down? Seconds? If there is an eminent danger of a landslide, I doubt living in the house is the best idea. It would be akin to dialing 911....game over before response is made.

Old 01-26-17, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
I too find this idea puzzling.

are worried that there will be further slumping, they are very concerned about it happening at night while they are sleeping.
My understanding of a landslide is that they happen fairly quickly, not like having the start of a typical house-fire where a smoke detector can give you a reasonably long time to evacuate.

Hopefully in this case State geologists and officials have determined the risk is virtually non-existant and the alarm is only for their piece of mind.

Old 01-26-17, 05:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 621 Votes on 574 Posts
I think some landslides do offer warning as the ground starts to slump and sag. Geologists and their instruments can easily detect it but I'm not sure if a home made trip wire will be sensitive enough. For a system like that to work you'd need at least one end attached to something secure outside the slide area. How will you know your system has at least one end on non-moving ground? Without at least one firm, non-moving anchor point your whole alarm system could slide down the hill as a unit without triggering.

Trying to set up a trip wire below the slide sounds like it might offer only seconds of warning as it requires the slide to have quite a bit of movement before triggering. By that point the slide is already moving significantly and building speed. Hardly seems worth the effort and better to just not stay in the house.

If determined to stay in the house I would set up a couple targets in the slide area. Cover the face with reflectors or DOT reflective tape. Then get a surveyors laser range finder (not a hunting range finder), something capable of reading down to an inch. pick a fixed location at the house like a porch post and mark a spot where you can accurately position the range finder to shoot readings off your reflectors. Take regular readings and record the results and if the targets start moving closer get out of the house.

Old 01-26-17, 05:51 AM
T
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
I, too, am uncomfortable with the limit of concern. I have to believe there are professionals in the area who can asses the risk and I'd put great value in their recommendations.

Beyond that, I would take the extra precaution of including two sensors of different types so that any activity would be identified.

Old 01-26-17, 06:58 AM
B
Note that modern CCTV (security camera systems) such as Swann DVR's and night vision cameras can detect motion. And can be set up so the DVR will beep if motion is detected. Areas a particular camera can see can be blocked out (in your case, sidewalk with people walking or tree branches blowing in the wind) to cut down on false alarms. Dogs and cats will set it off too.

But otherwise if something changes in the picture a camera sees, then it can be set to alarm. You could perhaps get an electronics type to take the DVR apart and add a relay to be used to activate a louder alarm.

Old 01-26-17, 11:27 AM
P
Thanks for all the suggestions and concern. The landslide is below the house so the risk is the house going over a cliff. We have had engineers and other experts look at the situation and they're relatively sure it would be a slow event. This is for piece of mind. Thanks again.

Old 01-26-17, 12:11 PM
P
I read the fine print on this product:

http://www.grisk.com/images/product_...rip_switch.pdf

I don't think that will work, it triggers on pulled or cut wire. Since this is a crude install outside it seems like it would be hard to keep that plunger pulled right in the halfway in the set position.

Thanks