Clear or Read the Memory of Concord Express for the Installer Code

Old 02-04-17, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clear or Read the Memory of Concord Express for the Installer Code

As many users know that If you don't know the installer code, you are unable to reprogram the alarm system. You will be lucky if you could reset the panel by clearing the memory and get the default installer code.

I have tried hard to clear the memory on my Concord Express panel, but I failed, though there is a MEM CLR mark on the panel letting you do that. The fact is that MEM CLR is not functioning for Concord Express. Some users say the MEM CLR works on Concord 4 only.

The panel memory is on an EEPROM, the model of which is 24LC64 installed on an 8 pin socket. It can be taken off the board and the memory be cleared or read out. Then the installer code can be either located or reset to the default.

I am seeking knowledgeable individual(s) for help. Sharing the knowledge will benefit many Concord Express users. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-17, 07:12 PM
I created this thread. Now I am giving it up. I believe the best method to resolve the installer code is to replace the panel PCB with a new one. I bought a new PC board, installed it correctly. But still unable to get into the PROGRAMMING Mode. The problem is a BUS FAILURE. I am going to create a new thread for bus failure problem.

Old 02-12-17, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
It sounds like you have not yet gotten the keypad(s) connected and addressed into the replacement board, yet.

What model keypad(s) do you have (you may have posted it earlier, but that's a different thread)? Not all keypad models are programming access keypads.

Old 02-18-17, 11:01 PM
The PCB was a used. Now I have a really new board with one question

Hi MrRonFL, The "new" main board was not new; it was a used one with a unknown installer code. I was unable to enter the SYSTEM PROGRAMMING with it. I have returned it to the seller.

What you said in your reply to this thread is right. The bus failure was caused by connecting the touchpad before the panel power on. For Concord Express, the touchpad should be connected to the panel after the panel power on.

I have now bought a really new main board and I am ready to program it. Now one question needs your help, which was not in the Concord Express Installation Instructions.

Question: When LEARN SENSORS, I need to trip them. After tripping the sensors; do I need to change their status from tripping to normal? If I need to do that, should I do it before exiting the Programming Mode?

Thanks again.

Old 02-19-17, 09:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Been awhile with setting up a Concord, for me. You start with the contact/zone in "normal" closed position, and then open the zone to trip it. I'm pretty sure you just restore the zone after you trip it. The panel may or may not prompt you to do so; but really it's looking for the transition to normal to open/faulted.

The last time I had to set up one of these, I disconnected the field wiring, and enrolled the zones using a momentary push button connected to each zone, in turn. That way I didn't have to run all over the house I was working in.

The "pro tip" for working on alarms, is to keep the field wiring and the alarm control as two separate problems.

Old 02-19-17, 05:17 PM
Multi Hardwired Sensors in One Zone - Only Learn and Trip One Sensor ?

Hi MrRonFL, Thanks for your helpful and important information. One thing I would like to have your confirm. That is: For a zone with more than one hardwired sensors, only one sensor needs to be learned and tripped. Is that right?

Old 02-19-17, 07:01 PM
MrRonFL, The Section "To Learn Sensors into panel memory" of The Concord Express Installation Instructions Manual has the procedure of learning and tripping Zone/Sensors. Based on the information you previously provided, I think that no matter hardwired or wireless sensors, when system prompts for SENSOR Number, I should enter a Zone Number (sensor number and zone number are not the same because there are more sensors than the zones). Is this right?

Here is the "Learn Sensor" procedure as defined in the Installation Manual:

1. Enter the 2 digit sensor group (10 for entry and exit doors, 13 for windows, 15 for PIR and 26 for smoke detector etc)
2. Enter the 2 digit sensor number (should be the zone number?)
3. Trip the sensor (only trip one sensor for a multi hardwired sensor zone?)
4. Back to LEARN SENSORS to learn the next sensor (should be the next zone?)

Is my understanding correct?

Your information is very helpful because the Installation Instruction Manual is somewhat confusing on these sections. Thanks a lot for help.

Old 02-19-17, 08:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You are getting confused by their jargon (which no other brand uses).

Hardwires zones are simply normally closed switches wired in series, so you only have to trip that input _once_ to learn that particular zone input in.
"sensor number" = Zone number
"sensor group" = Zone type (on any other brand)

The only time you have to fuss with individual contacts, is when you are dealing with wireless devices, because each wireless device is a zone, by definition.

Old 02-19-17, 09:18 PM
Sensor Number = Zone Number?

MrRonFL, Yes, I am getting confused. In my system there are 6 hardwired Zones, which covers 13 sensors. The 14th sensor sensor is a wireless sensor, which is covered by Zone #7. How can I understand "Sensor number=Zone number"?

Zone #1 covers two hardwired sensors (entry/exit doors). When system prompts me to enter the first sensor number, I enter 01 for sure. Here sensor number = Zone number because both are ranking #1.

But when system prompts for the next "SENSOR" number, I will naturally enter "02". Now the confusing point is: This "02" is Zone #2 or sensor #2? Since sensor #2 is also covered by Zone #1, it does not need to be learn, here "SENSOR NUMBER" should refers to Zone 02. Is it right?

It is really confusing to me and therefore I need your to help me clarify.

Old 02-20-17, 02:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The zone inputs with more than one contact is just one "sensor" for the purpose of enrolling. The wireless device on zone 7 is it's own zone/sensor.

Hardwired door and window contacts are just switches. They have no "intelligence" and the system does not differentiate switch 1 on zone x from switch 20 on the same zone.

Again, you are getting stuck on decades old marketing jargon.

Old 02-20-17, 09:31 PM
New Board Programmed, Hardwired and Wireless Zones Interchanged

MrRonFL, I programmed the new board on my Concord Express. The system is working now; but there is a problem I don't understand.

Two hardwired Zones and one Wireless Zone interchanged. I reprogrammed the 3 changeful zones a few times, the results varied every time. The final results are: one hardwired window is wired to Zone 2 terminals on the panel; but it fell into Zone 12. Zone 12 should be a wireless zone; but the wireless sensor at that zone won't trip (maybe sensor bad). Another hardwired contact at Zone 3 fell into Zone 2, but finally I made it into Zone 3.

By your experience, what caused the zones interchange; and will they cause new problems on the system later on?

Old 02-21-17, 02:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
it just sounds like you may have miss-keyed some step of the process. You may have tried to key in the "sensor group" when you were prompted for "sensor number".

Old 02-21-17, 05:58 PM
Hi MrRonFL, You are right. I redid the 2 Zones, one HW and one wireless, they are back to the Zones they should have. Now the fixed touchpad shows System is OK and the green LED is steadily on.

I tried to enable the alarm from Level 1 (OFF) to Lever 2 (STAY) and 3 (AWAY). STAY is normal; but AWAY has a problem. After I pressed AWAY, the beeps are normal, but when I open the exit door, the siren sounds. I checked the "Exit Extension" and "Auto Stay Arming", both are set to ON. That means, the system should have initiated the STAY automatically while I enable AWAY. What caused the siren sounds?

Old 02-21-17, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm guessing that you may not have the correct zone type/sensor group set for that zone.

Old 02-21-17, 07:35 PM
MrRonfL, After seeing your reply, I immediately connected the program touchpad to the panel. The Star was flashing. I pressed it and saw "Zone 01 (entry/exit doors) Alarm Memory". I then deleted Zone 01 and relearned it.

I seemed that the Zone type was set as 13. I reset it to 10. Then I tried to test AWAY and it was normal.

You are an alarm Master, real expert. I are so thankful for all your help.