Simplisafe or ADT

Old 03-03-17, 04:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simplisafe or ADT

i have a question, i bought a simplisafe system however the place i'm moving to have already all the sensors from ADT built in, so now i need to decide do i install and activate simplisafe or do i activate ADT (dont need to pay for equipment for either)

any advice you can give me?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-17, 09:17 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
I personally stay as far from ADT as possible. I think their monthly monitoring fees are outrageous. ADT may also want you to "upgrade" the existing panel at which time they will also lock you into a long-term contract.

Old 03-04-17, 03:37 AM
Received 41 Votes on 41 Posts
I agree with Furd.

As a user of SimpliSafe, I would just remove the ADT sensors and mount the SimpliSafe units.

Old 03-04-17, 06:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
If the ADT system is hardwired. Simply leave it in place and install your wireless devices where you want them. That way if you move/sell, you can take your Simplisafe hardware with you; and still be able to sell as having hardwired security, in place.

Old 03-05-17, 09:28 AM
If the place is already hardwired, just activate the panel with a service like NextAlarm. It's a whole lot cheaper and they can take over most ContactID compatible panels. Even if they can't, all you'd have to do is get an unlocked/non-ADT motherboard for the panel and it would be a lot cheaper than Simplisafe. They have "self monitoring" plans that just alert you, and live dispatch plans available.

Simplisafe is a joke, honestly (as are pretty much all 100% wireless "install in minutes" kits). Put one of those "Protected by Simplisafe" signs on your lawn and it informs thieves that they just have to look for and smash the blue glowing Renuzit cone to disable the system.

Old 03-05-17, 06:46 PM
nextalarm have horrible reviews everywhere i looked, so not an option, simplisafe's base can be hidden anywhere, even in the attic (confirmed with simplisafe)

Old 03-05-17, 08:56 PM
Simplisafe has horrible reviews too. It's a typical cheaply made, overpriced pile of crap designed to give non-technical people a false sense of security (at pretty close to what ADT will charge you monthly when you add all the nickels and dimes). Not only that, but RF transmitters are very easily jammed (there was an article not too long ago about how easy it was to jam the entire Simplisafe system with a device that costs a fraction of what the system cost).

Old 03-06-17, 03:56 AM
Taz,

I must take exception with your review. I have SimpliSafe as does two other family members and we can all attest to it's effectiveness. Response time is fast and accurate. Fortunately two of the "break-in" were from family members who could not effectively disarm the alarm due to not remembering their code. The other break-in triggered by a pet that was not properly restrained when left alone (a lot of damage was prevented).

It all depends on the level of protection that is needed and the environment that you're in. Would I use it in a bad neighborhood with a high crime rate? Do I even need to answer that question? Our neighborhoods are relatively safe and we have only occasional if any problem with break ins. Can the alarm base be smashed? Of course if the intruder knows where it is.

One thing I've learned is that insurance companies will only offer discounts on a proven item with statistical evidence that it works. We get a discount due to the alarm system.

Keep something in mind. SimpliSafe and most other alarms, be it ADT, Wells Fargo or whatever, are a deterrent to the non-professional burglar. ANY ALARM system can be ineffective in the hands of a professional thief.

Even a guard dog can be shot.

I don't intend to change your mind, but my response is to those who may consider the SimpiSafe or other brands similar to this. It is less expensive, it's effective (based on your needs) and it's independent of any contracts. You don't even need to use the response system if you only want an audible alarm.

Remember, it's what your needs are that determine the level of alarm security.

Old 03-06-17, 09:44 AM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Well stated, Norm.

I tell people that NO alarm system will prevent a break in, it will only signal when a break in has taken place. If your primary reason for wanting an alarm system IS to prevent break in then just buy a sign stating the premises are protected as it is just as effective in scaring off the amateur burglar.

Old 03-06-17, 03:59 PM
And I have had NextAlarm for 10 years - and have never been in a contract. They have never failed to respond within seconds of receiving the alarm signal. They are UL listed and I do get a discount on homeowner's as well. My point was simply to criticize the OP's summary dismissal of the company I suggested due to "horrible reviews" - those which I found seemed to suggest defective customers rather than an inferior service.

And while "any alarm can be ineffective in the hands of a professional thief", a properly installed hardwired system is ALWAYS going to be harder to defeat than an "installs in minutes" wireless system. As I said, those wireless systems can be easily jammed with a $75 device.

Old 03-06-17, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
The original poster already owns his hardware, and seems to be comfortable with it.

That said: Going through the effort to remove the hardwired system (other than perhaps powering it down, and disconnecting the keypads) is overkill and not the best expenditure of energy. Store the ADT keypads inside the system enclosure, and put a blank cover plate over their mounting location.

You may later decide that a hardwired system is a better fit, and you can reuse 90% of the installed infrastructure, because it's all standard stuff.

Old 03-06-17, 05:59 PM
Unfixable SimpliSafe Security Flaw Warns Security Expert
SimpliSafe is making headlines this week with news that should have customers deeply disturbed and concerned.
Two days ago, Dr. Andrew Zonenberg, senior security consultant at IOActive, issued an advisory warning of a vulnerability in SimpliSafe's system that can be exploited using equipment that costs less than $250. With the right equipment, criminals can initiate a replay attack, capturing and recording the unencrypted PIN sent from the keypad to the base station. Once the PIN is captured, the attacker can issue fraudulent commands to the system, sending false signals or disabling it completely.
In order to attack a system and capture a PIN, the device needs to be within 100 feet of the keypad to intercept the unencrypted data sent from the keypad to the base station. So if the criminal needs to be close to the home, doesn't that minimize the risk? Not really. Homeowners frequently post yard signs from their security company to discourage potential robbers. For SimpliSafe customers, those yard signs are now beacons advertising the home's vulnerability.
Here's where it gets really, really ugly for SimpliSafe's customers (estimated to be over 300,000): The security flaw cannot be fixed with an OTA (over-the-air) update like those pushed out to mobile phones by cell providers because SimpliSafe uses a one-time programmable chip in their system.
So What Can SimpliSafe Customers Do?
Not much. If they continue to use their SimpliSafe alarm system, they can mitigate the risk by changing their PIN frequently, but short of replacing the keypad and base station, the risk will remain according to IOActive. We contacted SimpliSafe to see what they had to say. Considering IOActive multiple failed attempts to contact the company since September 2015 when the flaw was discovered, we weren't expecting much. (You can read IOActive's complete security advisory.)
The representative we spoke with was aware of the recent press around this vulnerability but downplayed the risk, echoing SimpliSafe's response as published by Ars Tecnica:
While any wireless system is susceptible to this type of attack from a sufficiently savvy and motivated intruder, our systems can be backed up with with a land line or an internet connection for no additional cost. Also, this type of attack represents such a small percentage of total break-ins that the FBI does not even keep a count. This is because the majority of break-ins are a quick forced entry and not the sophisticated type of attack that requires diligent planning as well as highly illegal and cost-prohibitive equipment. Assuming an intruder has the requisite technology, he would need to know the frequency ranges he needs to jam, and also know the layout of your home beforehand, as he would have to avoid motion detectors even in the unlikely event that he bypassed a door sensor.
This cookie-cutter response reads as dismissive and unsympathetic to the legitimate concern of their customers. It's also disturbing that they recommend adding a landline or internet connection to reduce the system's susceptibility to attack. Both of these communication methods are inherently at risk: A novice intruder with wire cutters can disable the system by cutting exposed telephone and cable lines before breaking into the home.
Is There Any Good News for SimpliSafe Customers?
That depends what your definition of "good" is. SimpliSafe spokesperson Melina Engel told Forbes the company was "planning on releasing hardware with over-the-air firmware updates and that customers would be given a discount on those once they were available."
Some customers have taken to Twitter to express themselves:
@Forbes I want to hear from a class action attorney unless SimpliSafe sends me a new encrypted base station and keypad immediately!
Dr. Jeff Bauman (@WestonChildPsyc) February 19, 2016
All of this begs the question: Does SimpliSafe really care about the safety and security of their customers?
It's hard to believe they do when a flaw like this is exposed and the company's response dismisses valid concerns and their solution is a "discount" to current customers for security equipment that's actually secure but not yet available.
Our recommendation to SimpliSafe customers (and anyone else looking for a home security solution): Select an alarm system from a company that takes protecting your home and family seriously.
Simple isn't always easy. In this case, it's simply unfixable.

Old 03-06-17, 06:18 PM
Very interesting and informative. You gave specific facts and quoted sources. I will take that into consideration.

Thanks.

Although for my particular use and circumstances I don't think a change is necessary.

Old 03-08-17, 08:00 PM
If that doesn't convince you that Simple Safe is a scam, take a look at this article written by an independent alarm industry expert.

SimpliSafe DIY Security System Investigation Yields Disturbing Results - Security Sales and Integration