Trying to replace the panel, siren sounding

Old 03-16-17, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to replace the panel, siren sounding

Hi there. I'm in the process of replacing the keypad of my Power 832
from a PC5516 to a RFK5500. The aim being to add wireless capabilities and more zones.

I'm told its fairly straightforward -- remove the 5 wires from the old panel, put the new panel in, configure..

However, I am told to power down the system, both A/C and battery before swapping the panels.
When I do that, the outside self-powered siren keeps blaring.
It's in a very inaccessible location, so I'd prefer if I didn't have to put a big ladder and risk my neck trying to defuse the siren so I can do the replacement.

Is there any way to "convince" this siren that all is well, perhaps by providing DC power to it? Is that all that's required?

Or, can I do the swap of the panels with the DSC still operational, if I'm really careful about not shorting the wires?

Many thanks, tk

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-17, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
It sounds like you may have a siren with a backup battery and it's set up so that if the supervisory voltage from the security system is dropped, that the siren will sound on it's own. Not knowing what siren model you have makes this tricky.
Some have 4 wires and providing power on two of the pair is what will shut it up; others have just 2 wires, and supplying the reverse polarity supervision voltage is what will make it happy.

I strongly recommend against trying to swap the keypads hot. 8 times out of 10, nothing will go wrong; but those last couple of times you end up with a bricked keypad, alarm control, or both...

Just have your ducks in a row, and make the swap as quickly as you can, so you can restore power before the siren runs too long.

Make sure you know the keypad address of the old keypad, before you remove it. If you have 5 wires connected, one of them is likely a zone connection, and the programming is dependent on the keypad address of the new keypad matching the old one.

Old 03-16-17, 08:47 PM
Thank you very much for your assistance. I googled how to find out the old panel's address, and I was told (it's a LED panel), that I need to go into programming and do a 000 and then I think 0, and I saw that "1" was lit on the panel.. Does that mean that it's set for zone 1?

Old 03-17-17, 02:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
It's set for keypad address 1 (not too surprising).

It was needful to check, sometimes you find ones that someone configured differently.

Old 03-21-17, 12:07 AM
Thank you very much for your assistance.

Using the tips from your message, I was able to replace the keypad without enraging the neighbors

I found that the self-powered siren was hooked up to the AUX terminals (or at least its power was..) Measured its voltage, it was 13.5.
So I unplugged the AUX wires and connected them to a battery of 12v. The siren stopped right away.

I was then able to power down the DSC 5010, and replace the keypad.

The only issue I have now is that the new panel, a RFK5500, seems not to keep time very well - I set its clock twice so far using the *6 command, but it's lagging several hours behind.

Any ideas why its clock would be inaccurate?

many thanks, -turgut

Old 03-21-17, 01:41 AM
UPDATE: My old panel was LED, it did not show the time.
So my guess is that the 5010 was set for USA 60Hz electricity, and for 20 years it never kept the correct time Now that I installed the LCD panel, I can see the time for the first time..

I'm trying the 701 code with 50Hz option. If that fails, I'll try its "internal crystal" option next..
Many thanks, -turgut