Relationship between GE, Interlogix, and Caddx

Old 03-22-17, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relationship between GE, Interlogix, and Caddx

Boy, this sure is confusing. What exactly is the relationship between these three brands or companies? Is this a matter of one company being bought by another, and then that company being bought? I suspect it's a little more complicated than that given all the various combinations I have seen of these three brands used to describe the same product. One of the first results of a google search for "caddx" is Interlogix' website, specifically the page for the Networx line. Elsewhere I've seen "GE Caddx NX-xx" (where xx is the specific model), and also GE or Caddx used alone without the other brand name. What's up with that?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-17, 03:04 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Caddx was a long time manufacturer of burglar alarm panels and accessories. They were bought by Interlogix who bought several other security equipment related companies and Interlogix was in turn bought by GE. And if that doesn't blow your mind, United Technologies bought GE Security. Interlogix now operates as part UTC's Climate, Controls & Security group.

We appear to be headed back where we were 100 years ago with a few companies owning most of the world. To quote the punch line of an old joke about a warehouse full of SPAM; "... it's not for eating, it's for buying and selling!"

Old 03-22-17, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think I saw on UTC's Wikipedia page that Interlogix was one of their brands, so that makes sense. I just couldn't figure out the relationship to GE. So UTC only bought GE's security products? When someone says "GE Caddx" is this technically incorrect?

Old 03-22-17, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Yes, that is technically incorrect. Often I try to write something like "Caddx/GE/Interlogix" when I'm trying to make the point that the instructions and hardware are interchangeable. The label changes but the underlying hardware stays 99% the same.

Over the years, the NX panels have had a few new features activated, but they are still pretty much backward compatible with the first generation Caddx NX hardware.