No Call Wait Cancel?

Old 03-26-17, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Call Wait Cancel?

We have lived in our home for many years, and I believe, after looking around, that we have a very old Concord security system. It was installed in 2000, but it would not surprise me if it is an older model than was available then. I found a manual for the Concord 4, the Concord 6000, the Concord 1000, the Concord 500, and just Concord. I think we have just a Concord, based on the programming menus and settings available. The only thing that our system seems to be missing that the plain old Concord manual mentions is a setting for canceling call waiting. Is it possible that setting is only downloadable from the central station?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-17, 10:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

a setting for canceling call waiting
I'm not following you. Can you explain call waiting ?

Old 03-27-17, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
See *40 on the following Honeywell Vista 20P instruction manual. You may be able to do something similar to disable your call waiting.

FYI - Call waiting is on land lines and you will hear a beep if someone is calling while you are currently on the phone. You briefly hang-up, then pick up the phone again to access the 2nd line.

Old 03-27-17, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
You briefly hang-up, then pick up the phone again to access the 2nd line.
Second call.... not second line.

I'm familiar with call waiting. Call waiting is a phone company supplied feature
Call waiting disable ?

Many alarm systems can be identified by opening the alarm box up and looking for a wiring diagram or some type of ID. Possibly information on the panel itself.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-27-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-27-17, 11:24 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
This is from 30 or 40 years ago, but *70 was used to cancel call waiting, for one call; YPVMD (Your Phone Vendor May Differ). The tone used for call waiting was close to the central station kiss-off tone and the communicator could be fooled into thinking its message had gotten through.

Note that if you do not have call waiting, you'll go to an intercept (recorded TELCO message). If you use *70, recommend you program it on one number only. Had a customer that went somewhere for several months of training and had the TELCO turn off Call Waiting; inbound calls were also turned off and we had a terrible time getting someone to let us in to reprogram.

Old 03-28-17, 02:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
The real problem with call waiting, is that quiet little beep/click you hear is the universal machine code that makes things like answering machines hang up, so it often makes auto-dialers on alarms disconnect.

The standard code used on most telco systems is *70 at the start of the dialing string for a call; but some systems, like broadband derived phone systems, use other codes (*72 being the most common). Check your telco provider to be sure.