Connecting an external siren to a DSC 1832

Old 04-01-17, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting an external siren to a DSC 1832

I'm upgrading an existing alarm system that uses a Honeywell AG6 external siren/strobe. This has 5 connections:

-ST : Strobe trigger
-R : tamper return
-SW : Siren trigger
+V : +12v
-V : 0V

I'd like to keep this and connect it to the 1832. From what I can guess and gather, would this work:

-ST ----> PGM (set to latch so that strobe stays on once it's triggered)
-R -----> ? I guess this should be attached to a zone connection, but how would that work as I guess this goes to 0V when a tamper is detected at the bell box?
-SW ----> - BELL (does this go to 0V when the bell is on?)
+V -----> + BELL (But is this only +ve when the bell is on?)
-V -----> - AUX

The only other way I could see is to connect +/-AUX to +/-V, but then how would I trigger it?

Or am I going to have to throw the siren away?

Sorry if this is a dim question!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-17, 05:00 PM
What you have is actually correct. DSC's switch the Bell - and have constant power on the +. So it will pull its power from Bell+ and AUX - (this arrangement MIGHT cause it to throw a Bell Trouble, if it does, install a 1000 ohm resistor between Bell +/-), and the Bell - is simply going to be pulling up a transistor in the siren itself (acting like a relay). Same thing with the strobe. The main driving power is going through the V+/-, and the -ST is a "trigger" lead. Because of this you should be able to connect this to PGM1

Yes the tamper lead goes to a zone programmed as type 21 or 36. The panel's AUX - and ZC terminals are common (wired together). The tamper switch shorts -R to ground when all is good (normally closed loop). Depending on your installation - if your zones are wired with EOL resistors - you may need to install a 5600 ohm resistor in series with the -R terminal.

Old 04-01-17, 09:57 PM
That's great, thanks so much!