New home owner needs alarm help

Old 04-07-17, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New home owner needs alarm help

Hello all,

I recently purchased a new home with an alarm system installed. The previous home owner stated he canceled the account with ***** but that I could set up a new one. ****** advised it was $50 a month for 5 yrs, which is unacceptable, and they said I could not activate it for local monitoring only, which I think is bull crap.

I don't know anything about the system (codes or anything), nor do I have a manual, but am fairly handy. I have attached pictures of the keypad, board, and interior door schematics.

When power is restored to the system the screen will read "AD 1600" several times before the screen goes blank then returns with "d1" until finally it alternates between "01" & "05" while simultaneously displaying not ready.

My goals are as follows: to be able to activate the system for local monitoring only so I would be alerted to forced entry when sleeping, or if possible have it some how dial my cell phone if activated when I'm away. As a heads up I have a house phone but it is through a cable modem.

Any information would be extremely helpful.

Name:  control board close up.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  50.2 KBName:  control board.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  51.1 KBName:  key pad.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  27.5 KBName:  schematic close up.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  34.9 KBName:  schematic.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  41.8 KB

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-07-17 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Removed company name
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-17, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
It's a Vista 20p, a common topic of discussion on this forum. Unless the one you have has been hardware/firmware customized, it s pretty easy to extract/change the installer code, disable the communicator, and set a new master user code.

The system you have is a slightly modified Vista 20p, so all of the threads for a Vista 20p will apply.

Retrieving Installer code
Nearly all Ademco family (this includes First Alert, Security Link, and several ADT models) panels can retrieve the Installer code by disconnecting the battery, then the AC power. Wait a minute, then reconnect power in the opposite order. Within 50 seconds, on any keypad press * + # at the same time. Unless the system has had an installer lockout feature activated, the panel should go into program mode. The details by system will vary, but the programming section number that shows on the display will be the location for the installer code (on _most_ panels this will be 20). Key in # and the location number, and the panel will read back the installer code one digit at a time. Exit program mode using *99.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...e-posting.html

Old 04-09-17, 08:59 AM
You have a very good system. All sorts of gizmos you can add on including a voice key pad, wireless devices, and even an encrypted high security key fob! And yes you can set it up [via programming] to be a local alarm only.

Also search google.com for the following to find instruction manuals...

pdf vista 20p installation manual

pdf vista 20p programming manual

pdf vista 20p user manual

Old 04-10-17, 07:31 PM
I would like to thank both of you for your help. Where is a good place to purchase accessories for the system as I would like to replace the 70's era looking smoke and glass breakage detectors. Additionally I was wondering if this system can be connected to the internet via an add on module.

Old 04-10-17, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This one is First Alert branded, but as far as I know, it's compatible with all of the standard Vista 20p devices. There's a number of internet interface third party devices (like the Envisalink module, or the BAT module).

Hardwired alarm devices are pretty much commodity items. Buy from a vendor that you like the look of, and has a price you like.

Old 04-11-17, 09:03 AM
I searched google.com for Honeywell security systems do-it-yourself, but unfortunately got a bunch of large security company links (wanting to sell you high priced monthly monitoring contracts)!

So here are a few "weeded out" web sites...
(I'm not familiar with these, so buyer beware!)

Alarm System Store - DIY Security Equipment for Home & Business

Home Security Store: DIY, Alarm Systems, Home Security,Surveillance

MySecurityParts.com

SecurityStoreUSA.com

Also you can poke around on the Honeywell site and maybe find specific model numbers of devices, then search google.com for the word Honeywell, then the model number, and then click on google's "shopping" button.

Example: Honeywell 6160V keypad

Honeywell Vista 20P page...
https://www.security.honeywell.com/h...sta/14958.html

Old 04-11-17, 12:55 PM
If you were open to an inexpensive no-contract service (as low as $10/month), you could add an AlarmNet internet communicator (the 7847i) and change out the panel's PROM chip to a new WA20P-10.23 chip and then get Honeywell's Total Connect 2.0 service which allows you to arm/disarm from a computer or mobile device and receive text/email alerts from the system.

Old 04-11-17, 07:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here are two that are frequent topics of discussion on the forum. I don't use either, as I primarily install commercial systems.

https://ipdatatel.com/products/

EnvisaLink 4 – Control Your DSC & Honeywell Security System From Your Smart Phone | EyezOn

Old 04-20-17, 08:18 AM
Hey Mdkush, any updates on the progress of your build? What equipment did you you end up adding? I am in a similiar situation as you, trying to update a honeywell panel so I am watching closely. Thanks!

Old 10-14-17, 08:29 AM
Using the info provided in this thread I was able to access and arm/disarm the system.

I now have a new question. As I stated before I am looking to upgrade the 70's era looking glassbreak sensors and smoke detectors. I keep running into a term called Vplex.

I would like to purchase the above mentioned sensors/ detectors but I am unsure if the are compatible with my system.

Any information would be helpful

Old 10-14-17, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"Vplex" is the 2 wire addressable device system used by Honeywell/Ademco. Without an additional add on board, it's not compatible with your system. Any standard 12v motion or glass break will be compatible with your system. Essentially they are just fancy relays.

Old 10-16-17, 02:24 PM
thank you, any idea on where to find a compatible one? i keep finding the vplex ones

Old 10-16-17, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
I buy from local suppliers as I also install commercial systems.

Glass breaks......
google.... "Honeywell 0-010-731-01 glass break"
Seco-Larm-Enforcer-190-12VDC-Sensor/
Honeywell-Intellisense-FG-1625-Acoustic-Glassbreak/

Motions....
B00N831XNE/ref=psdc_11040971_t3_B002RLQYEG
B0056Z3W6I/ref=psdc_11040971_t1_B00845WJKM
Honeywell-DT8050-DUAL-Motion-Detector/dp/B00N83Q3S4

I left mostly amazon links but those models I posted are available at many online alarms parts retailers

Old 10-17-17, 06:45 AM
Audio Verification System

Sine the 'gurus' seem to be onboard with this thread, I wanted to ask about adding the Honeywell AVS 2-way voice communication to my system. It looks like hardware and programming are pretty straightforward. However, is there a monitoring company besides ADT that can utilize it? It seems to me that this is a Honeywell creation and anyone who has the monitoring hardware/software that 'talks' to the Vista systems should be able to utilize the 2-way voice. How can I find a monitoring service besides the high $ ADT that does it? So far the few I've contacted do not. Also, another question...does upgrading to the latest Vista chip entail reprogramming the entire system? If so, is there any easy trick to save or at least extract the current programming to help with the reprogram? I'm assuming that upgrading the chip is a necessity for those of us that like to play with the system as a lot of newer add-ons need the later firmware.

Old 10-17-17, 07:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Any central station that can handle AlarmNet will generally be able to work with the AVS; so many of the less expensive DIY friendly central stations could accommodate you.

Old 10-18-17, 09:23 AM
That is immensely helpful. Any idea on replacement smoke detectors?

Old 10-18-17, 09:32 AM
I didn't have genuine Ademco smokes...my house has Kidde 'builder grade' detectors with the interconnect wire between all the smokes. That 3rd wire simply goes high to 9 volts when a detector fires, setting them all off. I took a small 9 volt coil relay from ebay and wired it across that interconnect wire and the black backup battery lead inside one of the detectors. I ran a wire pair from the relay contact back to the panel and connected it on an unused hardwire terminal and programmed it as a type 9 supervised fire zone. Added the 2K resistor across the contacts for the supervision. If getting the wire back is a problem, use a wireless contact transmitter.

Old 10-18-17, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the model number of your existing smokes? There are three different ways that smokes could be connected to this system.

Old 11-14-17, 02:49 PM
keep the sensors, lose the system

I moved into a home recently and had a similar situation. The previous owner had stopped paying their monitoring bill and I did not have any information on codes or anything else. I ended up using a DIY drop-in replacement called the Konnected Alarm Panel that allows you to connect all your sensors directly to it, replacing the motherboard on your currently panel. It links up with SmartThings, a Home Automation platform, and you can monitor and control all sorts of stuff from your smartphone anywhere you get cellular data! It works great, and you can pay for pro monitoring if you want to.