ADEMCO Honeywell 4286 VIP Telephone Module and VoIP?

Old 04-10-17, 12:04 PM
Question ADEMCO Honeywell 4286 VIP Telephone Module and VoIP?

Hello alarm gurus,

I posted a similar inquiry back in 2014. We are moving into a new house, and I am installing our security system. It will be a VISTA 20P, and I am hoping to integrate a VIP module to have full system control from our house telephones. In addition, I would like to have the ability to call-in to my system and access the module, as stated in the manual. However, we are adopting the Ooma Telo home internet telephone service to save money. I know how to distribute the dial tone throughout our house jacks, but I'll have to do it a little bit differently. I would have to have the output of the Ooma modem run into an RJ31X jack, and then out of the jack out to the rest of the house phones, with the RJ31X being wired to the panel and module, respectively. Of course, I would disconnect the TIP and RING coming from Verizon/Bell Atlantic outside the house in my NID [Network Interface Device] box. This is technically the way you would wire normal analog lines into your panel and voice module, with my way being the exception. So, my question is: would this hypothetically work? Has anyone gone through with this, even with other VoIP providers? It would technically be a normal Telco signal coming out of the Ooma, and in their manual, they say that you can distribute the signal out to all your other phone jacks, meaning it would also be outputting the proper sufficient voltage. It would essentially be a normal landline phone setup. Verizon just charges way too much anymore. Ooma is the way to go, and I would love to have the convenience of controlling the system from any touch-tone telephone in the world. The 428X phone/voice modules are highly underrated, in my opinion. Anyone, feel free to chime-in!

Thanks,

-Demetri P.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-17, 05:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Typically, results with these phone interfaces and derived phone lines have been hit and miss. The Ooma system is supposed to make a fairly clean phone line, so it has a decent chance of working.

Yes, you understand the basic concept. As far as alarms are concerned, when you are using a derived phone line, that adaptor takes the place of the Telco source.

Old 04-10-17, 06:04 PM
Question

Thanks MrRonFL, you've been a great help in the past as well. I'll have to try it out and let you know once the Ooma box comes in. So the 4286 VIP Phone Module would be the way to go, then? The 4284 & 4285 I understand have a bit of a different synthesized voice, as heard in this video: https://youtu.be/JkVHaMwl4WU @9:22 (I know, quite a blast from the past.) However, all models have the same basic functions I understand. I would stick with the latest one, the 4286, then. And, per the "Summary of Connections", the RJ31X jack has to be wired to the panel as well for the phone module to function properly? Even though I won't be using the telephone line function of the panel for monitoring?

Old 04-10-17, 06:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, the telco connection still has to pass through the alarm control for the mechanism to work right.

Old 04-10-17, 07:27 PM
Thank you. I will let you know if it works once it is set-up.

Old 04-11-17, 08:11 AM
The VIP module is "old school" the same as "land line" answering machines, old phones, FAX machines, etc.

These are very "picky" when setting them up - even on a land line. Anyway I should think it would work if all of the above old phone devices would also work.

Old 04-11-17, 10:56 AM
Yes Bill, you are correct.

Total side-note, I have experienced the "nit-picky" side of the 4286 VIP phone module before. Back in 2014, I set up a 4286 in my upstairs bedroom and wired it up to a phone jack on the top floor where my VISTA 20P panel was located. I did not use an RJ31X jack and wire it in to the panel as well. I know this is the incorrect way to do it, and it would not have been distributed throughout the house, but at that time, I was just experimenting. The Telco line coming out of the phone jack on the wall went straight into the 4286, and then out to the telephone in my bedroom. It worked fine... sometimes. On occasion, I would access the module from the corded telephone in my room, and there would be a scratchy, almost squeaky hiss in the receiver. This would also happen when I wasn't using the module, and simply talking on the phone. It was only sporadically, but it was puzzling and somewhat of an inconvenience.

I only mention this as to warn other DIYers that the VIP series of phone/voice modules are a bit iffy in terms of how well they work, especially with VoIP landline service. Once I order the Ooma, I will have a chance to test it out with my 4286, VISTA 20P, and house phone jacks. I will post again when I have results.

Old 04-13-17, 07:01 PM
I'll be interesting in hearing how it works, demetrax1. I'm also of the opinion that the VIP was/is underrated and underused and while internet interfacing can be more convenient, it also presents security risks that the VIP doesn't.

Old 04-14-17, 07:28 AM
One problem I encountered was with a VIP and land line which had DSL...

I think there was some hissing on the line, but don't remember. Maybe the VIP just didn't want to work.

Anyway I rewired the phone lines so the DSL connection was before the VIP module and had one of those DSL line filters on it. That seemed to resolve the issue.

Old 04-14-17, 10:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, DSL will interfere with devices like VIP. So will caller ID in some systems.