improving an old alarm: Adding wireless

Old 04-20-17, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
improving an old alarm: Adding wireless

Hi there. I'm (still) trying to add a RFK5500 to a 16-zone wired system.
I have a quick question: The old system had 8 zones, plus a zone expander for another 8 zones. 13 of these are in use with wired sensors.

I assume that RFK5500 adds more zones (wireless) to the system.
How do I tell the system that the wireless zones should occupy zones 17->32 (or whatever the upper limit of zones for RFK5500 is) ?

Many thanks, -turgut

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-17, 09:28 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
  1. First, make sure the keypad is compatible with your control panel. The keypad installation paperwork should have this information.
  2. Second, your need the model number (and possibly version) of your panel . Then check the panel specifications for the total number of zones on the panel. Read carefully; I don't know whether DSC includes "fixed" zones like Keypad Panic in their total. If the maximum number of zones is (just for example) 16, you can add all the hardware you want, but it won't give you more zones than the panel is capable of handling.
  3. You'll find zone address and program locations in your control panel program manual .

Old 04-20-17, 05:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
One of the nice things about the way DSC handles wireless zones, is that you simply pick the zone number for the device, and turn the wireless attribute on in system programming. Since you have the hardwired expander, just start using zone numbers that are past the last hardwired zone. You still have to make those zones active in the partition, and set zone types, of course.

The zone limit is the limit of the zones that the system is capable of supporting.

Old 04-20-17, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Many thanks for the replies. I suspect my 20-year-old PC5010 is to blame; I'm going to search for an alternative motherboard. Found some PC1832's on Ebay fairly cheap, I'll try my luck with that. I hate doing all the rewiring tho
-turgut