Camera works great during the day but at night it went really bad

Old 04-26-17, 05:50 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Camera works great during the day but at night it went really bad

I have CVI cameras. I had 5 and they worked great for a few years. The night was good and day was in color. One camera went bad but when I replaced it the night vision is very dark. I though maybe the new camera was bad. So I installed at one of the other camera sites and it works great at night. I have coaxial and power running to each camera. The run is inside the house. What would make the wire run go bad. What I DO NOT UNDERSTAND is why COLOR is VERY good BUT NIGHT IS VERY DARK. I replaced the new camera with another new camera and the same thing happen. Again installed both new cameras in place of an existing camera and they worked OK. Tried a different channel on the security DVR and had the same effect(not working,meaning very dark at night). What could be causing the night vision to be so dark but the day show up in color very good.

Camera model--DH-IDF-48WN(ZA)-V3

Name:  20170412_102324A.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  21.2 KB

Old 04-26-17, 07:59 AM
B
If there is enough light - a street light or whatever shining into it, the camera may think it is daytime and not turn on the red LED's for night vision. Go look at your cameras at night and the red LED's should be on for night vision.

The solution is to point it away or down from those lights.

Old 04-26-17, 08:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 852 Votes on 787 Posts
If you are getting video that means the signal is making it through the cable and the camera is powered so... the cable is OK. Also the camera works fine during the day further indicating that the cable is OK. The problem lies with the camera. My first guess is that the IR emitters on the new camera are not bright enough for your application. You can also use your cell phone to look at the camera at night. Through your phone you will be able to see if all the IR LED's are illuminated even if they are the black/totally not visible type.

Old 04-26-17, 09:30 AM
B
The leds are visible at night. What I do not understand is I took the camera that is dark and installed above the door in the pictures and it works OK. I am having trouble getting the SET SCREW that holdS the lends in place out. I am trying to take a camera I had installed in the place where the camera is dark and replace with another camera that was above the door. I figure if it works then the cable would be good. I do agree the cable seems to be good if I can get a video picture in color. Could I have a problem with the power line. Does the camera use more power during the night verse the day?

Old 04-26-17, 10:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 852 Votes on 787 Posts
Your two sample pictures are of vastly different areas with different light levels. The well lit photo is... well lit. By looking in the distance you can see that there is enough illumination around for the camera to see well. It is not relying on the IR illumination. In your dark photo there is no other illumination so it all has to come from your camera.

Old 04-26-17, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
In this picture... the camera is picking up the reflected I.R. light off the wall and closing down the iris. You need to get the close up of the house out of the field of view.

Name:  20170412_102324A.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  23.5 KB

Old 04-27-17, 05:04 AM
B
The problem is what PLMAX had stated. I did not read his email until this morning but I adjusted the camera just a little last night. The stone had some glitter in it and it was affecting the LED's. The night time picture is much better. Name:  20170427_073041_001A.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  20.4 KBThanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: