DSC PC5132 wireless receiver help needed - even DSC support does not know it

Old 05-19-17, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC PC5132 wireless receiver help needed - even DSC support does not know it

I have DSC PC1864 that I recently upgraded from PC5010. The reason I did it I needed more zones for my wireless sensors (4)
There is nothing else was changed in the existing system.
Now, the issues:
1. It is really hard to enter the serial number into the PC5132. I have to do it at least a few times till the serial number is successfully stored into the memory. Also the weird thing is I have zones 9-16 allocated as wireless zones but I can only enter the values of my 4 sensors into zone 10, 12, 14 and 16. If I try to enter the serial number into zone 11 it will never be saved. I noticed when I enter one number the other number gets changed sometimes so I have to go and review what is stored for all four numbers.
2. Right after 24 hours after I entered the wireless devices into 5132 I am getting one or more wireless zone faults. Ok, I thought I would check 804-81 (the time for the monitoring interval). and the value is stored as 'FF'. I am trying to enter '96' (the max value that would equal 24 hours). Nope, it just does not store, FF is still shows as the value.
3. I can't reset the 5132 to the defaults. Nothing happens. It still remembers the settings that I entered.
4. Right after I get the zone fault my PC1864 goes weird loosing the three zone expanders or showing some zones OPEN (even if they are closed).

Cold restart fixes everything for the next 24 hours.. then again - the same issue. Apparently the company that I bought the panel contacted DSC for the support but even DSC could not figure it out.
I already replaced the PC1864 with another one - the same result. Could it be just the defective PC5132?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-17, 02:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
That does sound like the wireless module itself may be failing, or may be having incompatibility issues with the new generation alarm control. What version of the 5132 do you have?

You say that you have 3 zone expanders as well. What model and version are they? Are you overlapping wireless zones onto zones that are on the expanders?

Old 05-20-17, 09:22 AM
the software version of the PC5132 is Master v.4.24. based on what DSC support told me this should be good enough.
I have three zone expanders (5108), they are older (were installed with the previous system), the zones are 25-40. the wireless zones are 9-16. there is no zone overlapping for sure. I made sure the zones are all set correctly.
Not sure how to check the version if the 5108, is it written somewhere? It is hard to see between all these wires
thanks!

Old 05-20-17, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
The ID is in the pink circle area.
You could also post the number off the IC chip in the red box.

Name:  dsc-zone-expander-pc5108-500x500.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  36.2 KB

Old 05-20-17, 11:06 AM
thanks. it says rev 04, the same as on the picture you posted!

Old 05-23-17, 07:49 AM
so what do you think guys? should I get a new PC5132? or this could be something else? strangely DLS software does not show me the option to enter wireless serial numbers for the wireless zones (it usually does it).

thanks!

Old 05-23-17, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm of the mind that your wireless receiver is having issues. With DSC the wireless module contains all of the serial number info, and it handles most of the wireless functionality. The fact that the DLS software is having trouble talking to the receiver, is a strong hint in that direction.

Old 05-23-17, 08:03 PM
thank you! Just ordered a new one. Hopefully it resolves the issues that I have. DLS was able to detect it once (and I was quite surprised to see the wireless details but the next connection it was gone)..

Old 05-31-17, 08:59 PM
i have installed the new PC5132 and noticed that:
- I am able to enter serial numbers of my devices without any issues,
- I am able to program 804-81 (as 96) without any issues.
Hopefully I will not get the zone trouble again..

But, the other issue still remains. It was just exactly 24 hours since I installed the new PC5132 and right after 24 hours of cold start I see that three zones are now show OPEN. Really strange. And these zones are on the different zone expanders.

I have not got the Wireless Zone Trouble yet (I entered the wireless serial numbers some time after the cold start of my system).. Hopefully the zone trouble issue will be gone.

What could cause the zone showed as open? and exactly after 24 hours.. Should I also replace my zone expanders?

Old 06-01-17, 02:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the problem zones are on hardwired expanders, the basic test is to dummy load the zone input with just an EOL resistor. If the zone stays closed, then the problem is in the field wiring.

Old 06-01-17, 07:07 AM
yes, these zones are simple hardwired zones (windows). they were closed all that time. and wiring should be good as the old system had them wired without any issues.
At least there is still no wireless zone trouble and this is very good, hope this problem is resolved by changing the wireless receiver.
Actually three zones that show open are on the same zone expander and I will replace it with a new one (luckily I have it handy).. and then see if this changes anything..

thanks!

Old 06-02-17, 11:47 AM
I changed the zone expander. Since the last restart it was about 21 hours.. and the whole issue happened again!!!
four zones are now showed open (the same four that I had last time) and one wireless zone shows zone trouble. WTF.. it all happened at the same time. how it is even possible... i can not believe it. and not sure if there is someone in the world that would be able to solve this mystery..

Old 06-02-17, 12:50 PM
could it be a old keypad issue? i have 6 keypads and one of them has wireless in it. I just realized that the control board sees only 5 keypads (when it powers up or when I do 902). I disconnected the keypad that had wireless in it (plus it looked older than my other ones - the display is not showing the names of the zones, only the zone numbers, etc). After powering up the system I still see the same keypads (1,2,3,5,8) - not sure how would I change the proper sequence of these numbers.. but anyway - I don't even know why I would need this keypad with wireless. my wireless keys (and zones) are still working with the PC5132..
and could it all be related to the older keypad (which was working fine with PC5010 but can't work properly with PC1864)?

thanks

Old 06-02-17, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
By the way, have you run the module supervision command each time you have changed these modules around?

Old 06-02-17, 07:18 PM
yes, of course. I do it after each cold start (just to be sure).. so 902 command never showed that I had 6 keypads installed (only 5) and now while I disconnected the one that had wireless in it (don't even know why it was installed at the first place - there was PC5132), I still get 5 keypads detected. I am really hoping this keypad was the issue, it is older and this wireless.. maybe it could not read all the sensors from the second floor (the sensors are in the basement). the PC5132 is also in the basement..

Old 06-03-17, 08:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ah ha! There's a big issue right there. Having a RF model keypad _and_ the 5132 receiver without a 5320 module in the system will create problems with your wireless receiver behavior. Without this, you are only allowed one receiver in the system at a time...

Old 06-03-17, 09:12 PM
wow! you are a genius MrRonFl!! thank you so much!
After the bad keypad was disconnected I still got the same wireless zone trouble but no more opened zones (that are actually closed). THis is a big progress already!
Now, I noticed something interesting as well. I have eyez-on module (like a TL card) that reports all activity online. And somehow it was set to different time zone and somehow this card was updating my system time 3 hours ahead.
When I got a wireless zone fault today it was about 22 hours since the cold start but because the time went ahead I think this might cause the PC5132 think that one zone did not report back in time.. who knows.. Now I have corrected this time zone issue and will restart. Hopefully it will be better, if not - maybe there is something wrong with the wireless zone itself.. but again, this is way better than before! I am so happy!!
thanks again!

Old 06-03-17, 09:15 PM
what????
the second I sent my previous reply I see that the bad wireless zone had been restored!!! this is pure magic now
maybe we cracked this case so now it surrendered..
Saves me a hassle of doing the cold restart..
But btw, what does it mean - when a wireless zone trouble has been restored? did PC5132 got a notification from the zone and resolved the trouble?

Old 06-04-17, 11:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, it means that the receiver got a supervision check in signal from the transmitter.

I should have asked you for a full listing of hardware; because that would have revealed that receiver issue, right off the bat.

With the number of keypads you have, don't be surprised if you don't have some power consumption issues. Take a look at the battery calculation formula in the installer manual, and plug in your numbers, you might find that your backup battery is woefully inadequate.

Old 06-04-17, 01:11 PM
yeah, now it makes total sense.. so far all looks good!
I do have lots of stuff plugged-in:
7 PIRs, 6 keypads, 3 zone expanders, one eyes-on board, pc5132, large siren.. i have pc5204 that powers most of the stuff (based on the wires that i see). I purchased a separate power supply for it. i have two batteries 7.5 amp connected main board and pc5132. I just don't know how can I add additional power to the system, is this 5200? should I just take half of the load from 5204? and get it another battery and power supply?

thank you!

Old 06-04-17, 03:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have the 5204, with it's own transformer, then you are pretty good for power, and your batteries are a decent size.

Old 06-04-17, 04:34 PM
yes, it was powered initially from the same transformer that powered the main panel and I thought it would be better if 5204 has its own power source. So I bought a new transformer (original DSC one) and hooked it up with 5204..
ok, I will then keep all as is - thank you so much!!!!!

Old 06-05-17, 10:26 AM
keypads

I have another question - now as I have to replace the keypad that had wireless with just a regular keypad - should I get the same 'square' LCD5501 keypad (as my other 5 are these) or I can get the newer style PK5501 keypad?
Just don't want to get a new style and this keypad mix can cause issues for my system..

thanks!

Old 06-05-17, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The older model keypads coexist with the newer models just fine. The electronics isn't very much changed; it's mostly the housing; and a few features activated that didn't exist on the older models.

Old 06-05-17, 05:57 PM
got it, thank you very much again MrRonFL!!