help getting home alarm back up and working

Old 05-20-17, 12:23 PM
help getting home alarm back up and working

We moved into a house a few years ago that had parts of an alarm already in place, I think it was an ADT. I’m finally going around to get it to work, but am close to my frustration limits. Below is what I have, what’s happening and what I want to do.

Goal:
- Get my home alarm up and running to a point where my last step is adding in the cell phone for contacting a monitoring company and start a service, which I already have the company lined up.

—————

What I have:
- Vista 20P mounted in a closet.. All wires were cut / disconnected and hanging when we moved in… No idea what went to where

- RF receiver in the closet next to Vista 20P

- New HoneyWell 6160
— Changed the controller line to 16 and am getting the below errors
- New backup battery
- Wireless Sensors on all but one of the exterior doors

—————

Current setup:
- AC Power is working and connected to the Vista 20P (traced the cable thru the walls to a plug in the garage)
- Wireless receiver is connected to Vista 20P
- HoneyWell 6160 keypad is connected to Vista 20P
- 4 Exterior Door sensors, and one motion detector (Motion detector currently does not have a battery plugged in - have to run to store and get a new one)
- No phone connected either cell or land line

—————

Issues:
- 6160 is rotating the below errors on the display panel and I don't know how to clear them
- I’m unable to enter the installer mode. When I power up the 6160 and hold the *# there is a low -> high alternating constant beep and the display panel reads Alarm 99. If I push 4112 800 nothing changes on the display.. Still rotates the errors below.
- When I unplug the AC power with the battery connected the KeyPad looses power. Battery is brand new and reads 13.49 on Voltmeter. I also took a look on the fuse on the 20P, and it looked OK.

—————

Errors (These Rotate):
- Alarm 99
- COMM Failure
- Check 100 RF Receiver

—————

Can anybody give me some help on:
- The errors?
- Entering programming mode?
- Why I loose power when AC is unplugged and battery is connected?
- 4 Exterior Door sensors beep and have correct names displayed on the 6160 when they are opened (I have done no programming to the 6160 - So I’m curios on how all of those Wireless Transmitters are being received without the SN’s being entered, AND how they show the correct location on the display panel: IE: when the front door is opened the 6160 beeps and says on the panel Front Door)

thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-17, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You said that you have "the company lined up". Are they the original installers? Finding them would be your best bet because most companies want to start from scratch with everything new & not fix the existing system. Either way the errors & the cell phone connection are their problem not yours.

Old 05-21-17, 07:09 AM
Not the same company. I think it originally an ADT System.. There was a key panel on the wall when we moved in, but it was cracked / busted so I pulled it off and tossed it.. The monitoring company is only that, a monitoring company..

Old 05-21-17, 07:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As I said chances are that they will want to install everything from scratch & it probably won't be cheap. How is your neighborhood for burglaries?

Old 05-21-17, 10:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Alarm 99 means that you may be waiting too long after power up, because the * + # combo is activating the panic alarm (that's what zone 99 is). Make sure when you are trying to use the power up tactic that you are removing both AC power _and_ the battery; and pressing the combo within 50 seconds of power restoral.

Comm failure will be resolved when you get into programming and delete the phone numbers programmed into the dialer at *41 & *42.

The Check 100 could mean anything from the cover not being in place on the wireless receiver (it has a tamper switch), to the receiver not picking up any transmitters (or no wireless zones actually programmed). Again, until you get into programming, you won't be able to answer that question.

If the power up technique isn't working, it's possible that the last installer turned on the installer lockout feature that prevents the boot up trick from working. If this _was_ an ADT system, the default ADT code may do the trick. See this thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...now-codes.html

Old 05-22-17, 05:48 AM
Thanx MrRonFL.. I'll try the power off procedure again tonight after work. I didn't even think of the cover off the RF receiver could throw and error, but it was off... Put it back on last night, and will check that also tonight..

With regards to the programming and configuration... When we talk about that are we talking about settings saved in the Vista 20P or saved in the Honeywell 6160? I guess I was always under the assumption that we program and "save" to the 6160...

thanx..

Old 05-22-17, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The programming is stored in the alarm control. For the most part, the keypads are just an interface.

Old 05-26-17, 04:19 PM
Still no luck - removing battery and AC waiting for 10 seconds -> connect AC only -> had another person push the * and # -->> Same results. Is there a way to clear configs on the Vista 20P and start over?

What about if it was a ADT system do they have a different combination from the default * and #

thanx

Old 05-26-17, 04:27 PM
AHH found another thread on this forum...

6321 800 got me into the programming mode.. At least it says 20 on it so I think I'm in the right spot... Now ti figure out where to go from here...

Old 05-27-17, 02:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a way to use the downloading software to disable the * + # combo; most installers don't, but apparently this ADT franchise chose to do so.

Installer manual: http://www.nationwidesecuritycorp.co...all-Manual.pdf