All modules ready for DSC PowerSeries 1864 install - but what's the first step?

Old 06-17-17, 11:55 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All modules ready for DSC PowerSeries 1864 install - but what's the first step?

Hi

I have decided to set myself a challenge of installing a DSC PowerSeries (1864) alarm system in our house and after reading as much as I could find, I'm kinda stuck in analysis paralysis now with the very first step.

I have the following modules.

LC100 Motion Sensors x 10
PC5132-433
PTK5507 LCD x 2
IT-100 Serial
PC5108 Zone Expander
PC5204 Power Module
Wireless door/window contact x 3
Wireless Motion detector WS9404P x 3

The wiring for 6 of the 10 Motion Sensors and for one of the keypads are already in place and are ready to be connect the modules to the panel. The IT100 and PC5132 are also ready to be connected.

I also have a plan for a separate cabinet for the PC5204, PC5108 with the other keypad (plus the 4 remaining sensors) to be installed all together at the other side of the house. (Once we make it over there during the renovation)

Now for my main question, the manual says to wire everything in to the panel first before you apply the power, - but is it ok for me to do this for the everything associated with the first cabinet ? Or do I need to connect everything and move the second cabinet later on ?

Old 06-18-17, 01:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Connect all of the keypads and modules, but leave the hardwired zone devices unconnected (dummy the zone inputs closed with the EOL resistors (or a wire jumper if you are going to turn off the EOL supervision feature))

Program and configure all of your keypads and auxiliary modules.
Then, program and configure your wireless devices, and set the zone types for all of the zones (wired and wireless).
Finally, connect your wired zones.

The reason for doing it this way, is you don't waste time trying to figure out if a problem is a programming error, or a field wiring error.

Old 06-18-17, 02:14 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi MrRonFL

Thanks so much for responding, just to ensure we're on the same page

1st step, I should connect all of the following directly to the panel, all look like they go directly into the keybus..

PTK5507 LCD x 2
IT-100 Serial
PC5108 Zone Expander
PC5204 Power Module
PC5132-433

Quick Questions

(1) : Is it ok to connect the PC5204 to the panel now, even though i do not know what it'd eventual location will be ?
(2) : Is it ok to connect the second PTK5507 keyboard directly to the main panel even though the idea is for it to be connected (and powered) from the PX5204?

Old 06-18-17, 07:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Yes, once it's configured, you can always relocate the 5204.
Even though powered from the 5204, the data originates from the alarm control. Get the interconnections and configuration straight before you put the hardware in it's final location. "Bench" configuration is always easier than field troubleshooting.

Hook everything up, in terms of wiring, like the final configuration.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: