DIY security camera standby power?

Old 07-24-17, 12:18 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY security camera standby power?

Hi there, I live in Uganda and would like to set up a security camera for my front door for a few weeks while I'm away. The camera's positioning isn't a concern.

Here's what I have (and don't mind leaving behind):
• MacBook Pro (with built-in webcam)
• iPhone 6
• WiFi Router
• GoPro

I can also buy a webcam extension if need be. Any more complex CCTV system may not be possible to find quickly where I'm based.

So I'd like to be able to view the camera's feed abroad. One issue is the frequent powercuts the house will experience. Usually the computer's battery should last throughout the powercut. If it doesn't then obviously turning on the machine remotely might be impossible. When the power goes, the Internet will cut out, but the computer should reconnect when it comes back. If the feed gets interrupted (but batteries are still ok), I'd also like to be able to restart the feed remotely.

Thanks for any ideas!

Old 07-24-17, 02:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Get a decent sized UPS to carry everything through the power outages.

Old 07-24-17, 05:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You can also replace the battery of the UPS with a larger one. I have a setup using a huge deep cycle battery that will power my security system for about 12 hours. The key is that the power must be on long enough to charge the battery. In my case the outages are infrequent so it's no problem that it takes a couple days for the small charging circuit in the UPS to charge my big battery. In many countries the outages are daily so buying a large capacity UPS that can recharge in several hours would be good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: