Replacement/upgrade of a DSC PC1832 system

Old 08-06-17, 10:31 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement/upgrade of a DSC PC1832 system

Hello,

I need some expert's opinion on an alarm system matter. I have been recently moving in a house where the previous owners had installed a DSC PC1832 system with 3 keypads a bunch of sensors and an uplink 4550 alarm communicator.

I am just staring now looking into home security stuff so I am sorry if my questions could look dumb.

1- What I would like to do is start using the alarm but not connecting it to monitoring services, I just want to send notifications to my own phone. Not sure if the hardware I have right now is compatible with this idea.
2- I don't have the master or installer code and as far as I understand I can't perform a hard reset because the system is locked out (I hear clicks when I power own the board).

For problem 2) I can contact the old owners or their installer and try to get the code but my question is, is it worth it? I wouldn't mind buying a new controller. What I would like to achieve is having a system that is controllable remotely via internet but that eventually would send notifications using the GSM network since I believe it is more reliable (the phone line that serves my internet connectivity can be easily cut as the wiring is not hidden).
I read that there is company called HABIT that produces a module to control remotely DSC systems, has anyone any experience with that?
Is there anything smarter on the market that would allow me to get the same result and reusing the keypads and sensors I have?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-17, 11:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
The PC 1832 is the current generation system, and is compatible with a number of third party solutions for remote access and control; so if the current motherboard has the installer lockout feature active, then changing the motherboard is a good solution. The number one thing you need to do is to get all of your zones identified; because that's the largest bit of programming configuration you have to accomplish to do the swap.

Old 08-06-17, 11:55 AM
N
Is the Envisalink 4 one of the products you are referring to?
would I be able to install it together with the uplink box for GSM\LTE alarms?
and most importantly, do you know if the uplink 4550 is programmable with a my own cel. number?

Old 08-06-17, 01:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
No, the uplink models require central station connection.

A lot of people use the Envisalink system and are happy with it. It's designed for an Ethernet connection, but you could use a wireless access point. No it has no native GSM feature.

Old 08-06-17, 08:19 PM
N
Thank you. I am thinking now to buy the Envisalink and connect it to a 4G AP/router. This way I would be indipendent from the main internet connection. I would still need to consider a small ups for the router