GE/Interlogix NX-8V2 wireless connection options ...

Old 09-18-17, 07:58 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE/Interlogix NX-8V2 wireless connection options ...

Hi everybody:

I'm working with an NX-8V2 panel by GE/Interlogix, and I'm hoping to get some assistance with wireless capabilities. Our building was vandalized again ... we have culprits stealing the copper refrigerant lines from our central a/c units. I found a system that I can install called CopperWatcher (Copper Watcher - The Total Copper Theft Solution). The copperwatcher system can be connected to our NX-8V2 panel through a standard wired connection or with a wireless transmitter. Our building is stone, and the condensing units are sprinkled around the building's exterior. Each condensing unit gets its own copperwatcher system and thus its own connection to the alarm panel. We'll be adding 10 zones to the panel - 1 zone for each condensing unit.

We could opt for hard-wired connections, but it's going to take a lot to punch a wire through the stone masonry and get the wires to the panel. We would also need a zone expander. The copperwatcher system also has the option to connect to the panel via a wireless transmitter, and I'm hoping to get some feedback to see if this might be a viable option.

I know I'll need a wireless receiver (An NX-548E). Because the copperwatcher systems are installed next to the electrical service disconnect switches on the outside portion of the building, could I perhaps install a few 80-922-1 repeaters close to where the systems will be mounted (I would install on the interior wall - the systems would be on the other side on the exterior wall) and get a wireless signal to the transmitter? Could this be a viable option? My understanding is that the repeaters simply plug in... they're not physically connected to the alarm panel.

I'm trying to simplify the connection if I can. Any help or expertise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-M

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-17, 07:26 PM
G
You already have the RF keypad right???

You might not need the external receiver....
Depends on where the RF keypad is in relation to the other RF devices...

Yes, you can use repeaters.....
Yes they plug in...

"Simplify" the connection?!

You picked probably one of least DYI friendly systems out there

Old 09-19-17, 09:28 PM
R
Thanks for the help GEGUY! Yes, I have the RF keypad. The RF keypad is on the middle floor of the house, so I think it's possible that we might not need a repeater. The ac units are closer to the RF keypad than the entry door which is protected by a wireless door sensor. There might be some hope! Will have to experiment and see.

If we'd need a repeater, our installer was telling us that the repeaters plug into the panel and get their power from the panel. But with the repeater I referenced in my original post, there was a power cord that went with it and I didn't see any connection to the main panel. After power up, it just started working. Am I right on that?

You're telling me! I'm an Ademco Vista guy ... not a fan of these NX8 panels ... the ademco panels are so much more user-friendly and straight-forward. But ... it's what we have, so I'm stuck with 'em! Glad we have a good helper like you GEGUY!

Old 09-20-17, 07:40 PM
G
RECEIVERS wire to the panel and get their power from the panel...
REPEATERS just plug into an outlet....

NX is a good series of panels...just not real friendly if you're not used to it

Old 09-21-17, 07:28 AM
R
Thanks GEGUY. So am I right in saying that if I have the RF keypad, I have the receiver built into the keypad, and to expand the signal, I could simply use a repeater? Want to make sure I've got this right. Many thanks for all the help!

Old 09-21-17, 05:43 PM
G
You are correct sir!............................

Old 09-21-17, 10:23 PM
R
You're a good teacher GEGUY ... I'm getting the hang of this! Can I tell by visually inspecting the keypad as to whether or not I have a plain keypad or one with a built-in receiver? I have three keypads for each panel. The arrow keys next to the display on one are amber, and the other two are green. If I've got amber-colored arrow keys, does that designate a keypad with the RF receiver, and green buttons are just a plain keypad without the receiver?

Old 09-22-17, 02:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
The RF model keypad is very slightly larger, but otherwise the only way to tell is to take it off the mounting plate and read the label on the back. The RF keypad also has a couple of antennae wires that thread into the wall behind through holes in the back plate. You may be right about the difference in the color of the arrow keys; to be honest, I've never noticed...

Old 09-22-17, 01:24 PM
T
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
Something to consider.
If I read your location correctly, consider what happens when you try to use flashlight batteries left outside when it gets REALLY cold. You are going to get Low Battery signals from your transmitters; been there and wanted to wring the salesman's neck. If cold enough, it's possible a battery couldn't even supply enough current to transmit a signal.

Old 09-22-17, 04:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Wireless devices do have a temperature range, and are prone to malfunction much outside that temperature range. Nearly all wireless devices spec for 32F at the low end and 140F for the high end, and that's due to temperature effects on the battery.

Old 09-26-17, 10:06 AM
G
I'm in Minnesota....

A tad colder than most places...

I've had these devices outside (not getting wet mind you)....for around 15-16 years now. Yes, you won't get the max battery life out of them if they are exposed to the cold...but I've never lost any sleep over the battery life I was experiencing. And I'm talking -10 to -20 below F....

My 2 cents

Old 09-26-17, 05:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That's actually good to know, that the lower temp ranges aren't as bad. Really, here in Florida, it's the heat that's the issue. I've picked up batteries in devices in sun exposed locations that overheated to the point of rupture in a matter of months.

Old 09-26-17, 07:01 PM
G
Lithium seems to handle the cold better.....alkaline, not so much