Help! Quick advice for home security system

Old 09-29-17, 06:35 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help! Quick advice for home security system

Hi guys, I have been searching for a home security surveillance system for the outside of my house for a few weeks now. I still haven’t found the right system, hopefully you guys can help.

I started off with the very basic – a Nest cam for the front door. I was going to add 2 more Nest cameras but realized that Nest charges monthly for each individual camera. I really like how simple the nest cams are, how quickly the app loads live video and how accurate/quick the alerts are – which is the most important thing to me. However, the monthly subscription, clarity of the video and how expensive each individual camera is has me looking into a more robust system.

I have also tried the Arlo Pro system which was a joke. The video quality was extremely poor, the app was slow to boot, there was no live video and the alerts rarely worked.

What I’m looking for in a security system -
I really don’t need anything crazy but I do want my front door, back of my house and driveway covered. I am currently in litigation with a person that would potentially come to my house to cause damage/harm. I have always thought about getting a system for my house just for peace of mind but now it has become necessary. I really just need something that alerts me immediately on my phone and that will record the activity.

What I’m looking for in a security system –
- Cameras
o 1080p or greater
o Power over Ethernet cable
o Bullet cameras
o At least 100 degrees FOV
o Relatively inexpensive cameras – under $150 each (mainly because these will be mounted low so if they are stolen it wouldn’t be a huge loss)o 3 – 4 cameras total
System -
o Easy to use quick loading app
o No monthly fees
o Either cloud based or local storage
o Ability to watch live feed from the cameras
o Ability to set zones
o I will only be viewing the system from my phone

I have done a lot of research but I still feel like I am very much a novice to this. I haven’t been able to find the right system. I have been looking into NVR systems just so that I can avoid monthly fees and have the recordings backed up. I have also heard of (don’t really understand) using Blue Iris. The closest I found is –

I really like everything about the cameras but the NVR seems like it might be a little overkill? Price is not really an issue, I just want to make sure this is what I actually need. Does anyone have any suggestions based on the things I’m looking for in a system? All input is welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-30-17 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Links removed
Old 10-02-17, 09:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Actually, the NVR route is probably your best bet. You will have a fair amount of flexibility, and only one interface to have to work with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: