Wireless replacement for

Old 10-01-17, 12:52 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless replacement for

Hi,

My system is power series 1832. Iím looking to go all Wireless, the only ones I need to replace for Wireless sensors are a couple of LC-104-PIMW but I donít seem to find a Wireless alternative for these sensors which are dual tech pir and microwave.

Is the reason that there is now wireless dual tech sensors for Dsc power series 1832?
These two sensors need to have dual tech because one is in a second floor balcony and the second one is in the ground floor patio so a lot of plants moving with wind, ocacional birds, etc.

Thanks, hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-17, 08:02 AM
C
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Welcome to the discussion of hardwired vs wireless.

One of the downsides of wireless is that devices like motion sensors and glass break sensors are continually being incrementally upgraded, always in the HARDWIRED version first. Only SOME of the upgrades get adapted to wireless of this or that brand of wireless and the different brands aren't interchangeable. In your case, if you have hardwired motion sensors already in place in the locations and want to upgrade, you have a wide variety of hardwired upgrades to chose from. If you're going to go wireless, you're constrained to whatever DSC has adapted to its wireless line. In other words, going wireless limits your options from the start. Most of the time, going from hardwired to wireless is a downgrade.

Aside from the wireless aspect:
It sounds like you're putting motion sensors _outside_ your home? Outside motion sensors is a tricky proposition _at best_. Expect false alarms, no matter what model sensors you use. The "etc" part of "occasional birds, etc." includes bats (yes, you DO have bats in your neighborhood), rats, cats, raccoons, possums, squirrels, butterflies, moths, bees/wasps; and _still_ etc. I'm not even going to try to name everything that visits your outside patio from time to time, depending on what part of which country you live in.
And if you don't think butterflies and bees can set off motion sensors: A bee flitting one inch in front of a motion sensor can have the same effect as a horse galloping by 30 feet away.

The thing about motion sensors is---they're designed to detect MOTION. Plants and animals moving in front of them is Motion, whether to a PIR or a microwave. Using dual-tech, PIR and MW(MircoWave) is not a panacea for motion false alarms. Motion sensors react to objects moving.
_Wind_ doesn't trip motion sensors, but the debris carried on the wind does. You'll probably never see the scrap of newspaper or clump of leaves that occasionally trip an outside motion sensor.

Signal processing algorithms have have taken us a long way toward ignoring certain kinds of limited motion, but we aren't anywhere near being able to detect ONLY human motion. So, I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't warn you against placing motion sensors outside; and if you do, expect the occasional false alarm and you may never see what caused it.

Old 10-01-17, 08:29 AM
M
Just wondering but why do you want to switch to wireless from wired detectors? Wired detectors are much more trouble-free and basically are set and forget unlike wireless detectors.

Old 10-01-17, 09:28 AM
J
Hello all,

The reason why I’m moving to Wireless is because my house is an old house (25+ years) and the cabling was done over the walls exposed to plain sight, some ducting was used to cover the cable sonright now it doesn’t look so terrible but still...

As of right now I was able to replace all interior sensors ( with the help of this forum I was able to go wireless and perform configuration in the panel) everything is working as I wish, including the outdoor sensors, I do have some false alarms but I would say maybe two times in the last month.

The only reason I want to go Wireless is to get a cleaner look and get rid of the cables.

About how wireless sensors work I know I’m tied to Dsc because how wireless work on this systems but I couldn’t find a wireless alternative for those external sensors, I found one sensor but it looks like is only for neo series and I have a 1832

Old 10-01-17, 08:02 PM
C
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
To be honest, I haven't worked on a DSC system in years and I'm not up to date on their latest-and-greatest wireless motions. If/when MrRonFL comes around, he's our resident expert on any and all brands and can probably advise you.

You didn't mention if those two motions are outdoors, but if they are, the batteries in any wireless sensors can be an issue, if you live where winters get really cold (or summers get really hot). Some of the old DSC wireless sensors wouldn't work outside in a Maine (or Canadian) winter. I don't know what kind of batteries the current generation of DSC wireless sensors are using, so I'll leave that to someone more conversant with DSC.

Old 10-02-17, 09:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
The problem with dual tech, is that the microwave component is a bit of an energy hog. The only model that hey have in dual-tech is a "Power G" that isn't compatible with your current system; DSC