DSC 1864 - new telephone provider

Old 10-04-17, 05:36 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC 1864 - new telephone provider

We changed phone providers over the weekend and now the alarm system cannot communicate with the central. Previous provider was a cable company. New provider is Bell. It worked just fine before. I wired the RJ31x as per the attached image. I connected a handset to TIP and RING on the panel to monitor. I power cycled the system to start fresh. In the rest state I hear a dial tone on the panel and home phones work. When alarm tripped homes phones are blocked, and on the alarm side i hear ringing but I also hear the panel attempting to dial while the line is already ringing ... seems like the line began ringing even before the system attempted to dial. Defective RJ31x maybe?

Is there a step-by-step troubleshooting guide?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-17, 11:35 AM
C
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
First of all, thank you for a thorough description of your problem and your troubleshooting so far. It looks like you've checked everything I would have told you to check.

The only other thing I can think of is, sometimes the phone techs get Tip and Ring mixed up at the Demarcation block (the Demarc). On some systems, reversing Tip and Ring will keep a call from going through. If I recall correctly, Tip is negative and Ring is Positive. You might try reversing Tip and Ring to see if it makes a difference.

I'm assuming this is a POTS line.

Old 10-04-17, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,194 Votes on 1,105 Posts
Are you monitoring with a test set or butt set ?

You can't use a regular phone to test as it loads the line down.
I haven't found line polarity to be a problem in many years.

Old 10-04-17, 05:49 PM
B
ChosunOne, I'm gonna give it another try with TIP & RING reversed at the demarcation and without having the phone hooked up to the panel TIP and RING. 20 minutes later still no luck.

PJmax , yup I'm using a regular phone. I thought it might affect as i noticed the voltage dip when i picked up the receiver.

Old 10-04-17, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
You can't use that to monitor the line.

Have you tried to initiate a fault or alarm and see if the central station got it ?

If the house side phones work..... and they are disconnected when transmitting..... the phone line wiring is not the problem.

The problem is more likely your alarm is trying to send a signal thru a VoIP connection that is not allowing the signals to be sent properly. You can call ask the central if they are receiving anything on your account. It could be connecting with them but not transmiting the signals.

Old 10-04-17, 06:03 PM
B
PJMax,

yes i unhooked the regular phone from the panel TIP & RING for the last test. On the last test all i did was switch the RING & TIP at the demarcation. The system tried to communicate with the central as the house phones went dead. I didn't get a call from the monitoring station and the communication error still displayed. You think initiating a fault/alarm will yield different results?

Old 10-04-17, 06:27 PM
B
PJ Max,

Sorry the last 2 paragraphs did not load on the screen.

The telephone line is a regular POTS line (I went for simple as I didn't want to upgrade the DSC 1864). In my previous tests the monitoring station never received any transmissions. In previous tests when i was listening in on the panel's attempt to communicate, the phone line was already ringing as soon as i picked up but after 30 seconds or so i heard the panel attempting to dial again all the while the line was ringing ... another 60 seconds go by, line is ringing and the panel redials ... it's as though the panel doesn't have control of the line ...

I'm thinking

Old 10-05-17, 04:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 95 Posts
Is it possible that your new phone line has an outside access code that has to be dialed for the call to complete; or your previous telco required such a code, and the panel essentially dialing too many digits. The latter would explain your hearing ringing while the dialer is still generating tones.

Old 10-06-17, 08:55 AM
B
If you have internet and DSL or have had in the past with the phone line, look for "DSL filters" on the line. There should be no DSL filter between the alarm and the outside line.

Old 10-12-17, 06:53 PM
B
Originally Posted by Bill190 View Post
If you have internet and DSL or have had in the past with the phone line, look for "DSL filters" on the line. There should be no DSL filter between the alarm and the outside line.
There are no filters.

Turns out the problem was the programmed tel # for monitoring station was a virtual number that the installer used to redirect his clients to various monitoring stations. I updated the number and now it works.

Old 10-12-17, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Ah... yes. I've seen that done. Forwarding services. Can be very unreliable too. Definitely not a UL listed application.

Old 11-23-17, 04:01 AM
H
I had to deal with the same issue before, and i ended up by calling my phone service provider to resolve the problem.