Upgrade Safewatch 3000

Old 10-06-17, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrade Safewatch 3000

Hello,
New to this forum, but found wealth of information. I moved into this new home with a Safewatch 3000, was able to reprogram my user code and use it for self monitoring.

It is a 6160VPADT Panel - would like to upgrade to a touch screen preferably a newer Honeywell or LYNC (if possible) easiest to add sensors preferably.

Most sensors are wired, there is 1 wireless sensor (5816). There is a small white box over my panel with 2 thin antennas (is this the wireless receiver for that sensor?)

Anyways. I would like to do the following:
1) Replace keypad with new updated, something which is easy to program. (lynx or other. what are my options? do i just replace the keypad wires and do not need to reprogram the whole system?)

2) replace all wired with wireless sensors, I have 11 sensors need replacing, and want to add 3 more. I see many different sensors but do not know which will work other than the older 5816 already installed. Are the 5811 the newest version? or the 5800MINI I see on Amazon... I need low cost and small size replacements

3) Are there any options for controlling the alarm remotely from my iphone without subscriptions?

Thank you all for all the help. This is my first post!

Inazuma

Last edited by inazuma; 10-06-17 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added more info
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-17, 02:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
The SW 3000 is a re-labeled Vista 20p and works with all of the Vista hardware, including the graphic touchpads. If your existing hardwired wiring is still in good shape, but the contacts themselves are damaged or failing; the smart and cost effective repair is to just replace the hardwired contacts (the price difference is nearly 10x for wireless contacts).

Lynx is not a keypad, it's an all in one alarm system, and does not work with the Vista 20p/SW3000.

The Graphic keypad would go on the same wiring as the conventional one. There would be programming and configuration required to make it work.
6280W/6280S

All of the 5800 series wireless transmitters are compatible with the wireless receiver you have (which _may_ be built into one of your existing keypads)

There's a few remote access/control third party solutions. Some people like the Ipdatel products: https://ipdatatel.com/; some people like the EnvisaLink product: EnvisaLink 4 ? Control Your DSC & Honeywell Security System From Your Smart Phone | EyezOn. Those are the two I see mention on this forum, most often.

Old 10-06-17, 03:12 PM
Thank you Ron!

I will look into the keypad 6280W. When you mean programming, in terms of what? Also, is it much easier to program than my vista keypad? i feel the vista is cumbersome steps etc.

I wanted to replace the wired because they ran all the wiring under the carpeting in angles, not against the molding on the walls. We are installing hardwood floors and the older contacts look VERY old. Gray and beige colored. So i would either have to splice longer wires or replace them with wireless.

I ordered the 5800mini contacts from amazon today, to try those. they are small enough i can use them well.

I saw that the only wireless one installed is on zone09, so i would start from there since zones 9-64 are for wireless. How can i delete other zones 02-08 when i remove those contacts? I want to keep zone 01 because it is wired to a smoke alarm.

Old 10-06-17, 03:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
All of the Honeywell stuff is based on the same programming system; and one of these touchpads has a fair amount of configuration and setup (they are essentially small computers) on their own. http://www.homesecuritystore.com/amf...d/file_id/215/

Old 10-06-17, 04:26 PM
Thank you Ron for your time. you have been very helpful and insightful.

Old 10-13-17, 03:21 PM
Hi Ron,

Wanted to thank you for your advice. I didn't not replace my keypad as i really like it now.
I was able to add 14 wireless 5800mini contacts and they work fantastic!.
Also waiting for my Envisilink to arrive today so i can program it in. Cant wait!
Also thinking of adding a wireless panic button and a second wireless keypad for upstairs going with the 5828.

I disabled (00) all wired zones i am going to physically remove the wiring, except the fire alarm and a motion sensor.
Question: If i remove these wired sensors from the panel terminal, do i need to do anything else? Do i need to add resistors across the terminals? or leave them empty?

I am getting used to the programming and understanding what all the functions do. I really thank you and find all in need on this website.

Thank you

Old 10-13-17, 06:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
In theory, simply disabling the zones in programming is enough. It's a good idea to close the hardwired zones with the resistors, though.

Old 10-13-17, 10:32 PM
thank you Ron.
So you are saying just remove the wires and good. What size resistors shall i put across the terminals if i decide? also why do you say its a good idea?

Really appreciate it.

Old 10-14-17, 07:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Because simply zeroing out the zone doesn't always work (some variations on the versions of the firmware). The correct resistor size is 2000 ohms (red black red, on the first 3 stripes). It's also a convenient place to store the resistors for future need (if the hardwired inputs are actually needed later).

Old 10-14-17, 07:32 AM
Thank you so much Ron you are always so helpful. Have a great weekend.