Safewatch pro 3000

Old 10-11-17, 03:27 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Safewatch pro 3000

Hello,

I recently purchased a property with a ADT SafeWatch Pro 3000 alarm system. It worked well until I had an electrician move the location of the keypad/alarm. The keypad now just makes a very quite clicking noise. The display is blank and pressing keys does nothing.

There are two cables from the control box in the basement to the key pad, each has four small wires (blue, yellow, black and red). One of the cables only uses two wires (black and red) and the other uses all four. I have followed both cables from the control box (in the basement) to the splice where cat6 was used to lengthen, then to the key pad. The cable that only uses two of the available wires goes to a small box below the key pad. The cable that uses all four wires goes to the key pad and follows the Y=yellow, +=red, -=black, G=green from the control panel.

I have tried unplugging the battery and the AC power, waiting several minutes and plugging back in. Nothing happens, except the quiet clicking noise stopped while the control panel was unplugged.

Any suggestions on how to get my alarm working again?

Thanks,
Larry4123

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-17, 02:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
Are you sure the panel is getting AC power? This sounds like the system isn't actually getting power.

Did they power down the system before making and breaking these connections. It is possible to damage the keypad or the alarm control board, itself, by making/breaking the keypad connections "hot".

The best case is that they don't have a good connection at the splice from the old keypad connection to the new one; or they swapped the wires around.

Old 10-12-17, 07:35 AM
L
Yes, there is power to the system. The light (power indicator) on the plug is lit and when we powered off the entire unit yesterday (battery and AC), the quite clicking noise stopped.

I do not know if they powered off the unit before working on it.

Bad connections are possible, but I did follow each of the six wires from the box to the panel and they appear to be wired correctly.

Is there a way to test the keypad to see if it is functioning? I could also test continuity of each wire individually to make to sure they are conducting.

Thanks,
Larry

Old 10-12-17, 04:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
The basic test would be to connect it directly at the motherboard terminals with a length of known good wire. If it works there, then you have a wiring problem. If it doesn't work there then either the keypad or the main board is damaged.

Old 10-13-17, 11:45 AM
L
I'll try wiring it to the motherboard terminals.

Thanks for your suggestions!