Camera Installation Wiring

Old 10-11-17, 11:32 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Camera Installation Wiring

Hi all.

I recently had CCTV installed at home and it's been bothering me that the wiring around the DVR doesn't seem very neat but that happens to be around my study desk. I see that when I have to plug my laptop charger in, I have to move the wiring and as I do that, the camera feed cuts out and then returns again which leads me to believe that not only is it messy but not properly seated and not idea. Please have a look at the picture attached and let me know if you think this is normal or if I should get the guys back in to fix the mess.

Thanks

Attached Images  

Last edited by PJmax; 10-12-17 at 08:09 PM. Reason: expanded picture
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-17, 02:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
That's something of a "quick and dirty" way to make those connections, so yes, it's both sloppy and potentially fragile. A small patch panel to punch down those CAT 5 wires would have been both neater and more stable.

Remember, this stuff is 24-26 gauge wire. It's not very structurally strong...

Old 10-12-17, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 924 Votes on 863 Posts
I'm wondering why an NVR wasn't used. An NVR has the camera power built into it requiring an RJ45 plug to be installed on each camera cable and then plugged directly into the NVR.

Your cameras look like they each have a power supply connected. Doesn't look like an easy way to clean up the wiring.

Is this one of those thrifty pre-packaged kits ?

Old 10-16-17, 08:56 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The package with installation cost quite a bit so I would have just expected better. Anyway, I'll look into cleaning it up a bit more and making it more stable. thanks for the feedback guys