NX8-V2 with wireless wireless receiver module

Old 10-14-17, 03:52 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NX8-V2 with wireless wireless receiver module

Had new windows put in and they decided to order all double hung instead of single hung as requested for 1st floor resulting in needed addition of wireless sensors -totaling 18 unless I opt to leave a few second story windows unprotected.
If I can start wireless zones w/in the first 8 spots reserved for hardwired, I think I am okay; otherwise if wireless must start at zone 9, then I will have to update my nx124 keypad to something. I have 4 of the 8 hardwired zones used & resistors on the rest. I thought I read something about this on the NX-548:
"All other control panels can have wireless zones added to any zone. If a hardwire input (on either the control panel or hardwire expander) is also present on the same zone as an enabled wireless zone, the wireless transmitter takes priority."
Question 1:
Can I start the wireless at zone 5 or even plug a wireless sensors into zone 2,4,5,8?
If not, then I need a new keypad.
Question 2:
I've been looking at the NX-1811E for <$41 or possibly the NX-148E LCD [~$90]. Any recommendations?

I also need to check to determine if I have an NX-416 receiver, in that case, I'll simply pop for the NX-148E-RF. This would obsolete the need for my wireless receiver module altogether I presume - though it's more centrally located than the keypad.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-17, 05:13 PM
W
I'm in the same boat as you. My installer's coming over on Tuesday to give things a look-see and give (well, not exactly give) me the benefit of his wireless experience so I don't do anything stupid (should say stupider than usual). I'll probably replace my existing NX-6V2 panel with "Old Faithful," the NX-8E for future expandability and built-in serial communication for event logging/program changes. I have the NX-148E-RF wireless keypad already installed closest to where I need some wireless sensors (glass break for casement windows and some contacts on the entry doors of a small guest house, actually a glorified detached garage).

Old 10-14-17, 09:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
Go with the NX-148e. More expensive, but far easier to work with, both as and end user and as a configuration tool. If you don't have a full 48 zone receiver, the RF model is probably your best solution.

For second story windows, take a hard, critical look at them. If they are not readily accessible from ground level, it may not be worth your while to add contacts to. Alternately, you can protect a double hung window with one transmitter by using the hard wire contact input on the transmitter. This is easier to do before the trim and casing goes on.

Old 10-17-17, 06:41 PM
B
Thank you both. Mr Ron would you happen to know if on the NX8-V2 if the wireless zones must start at zone 9 or in banks of 8? I'd like to simply plug in a few of the needed wireless transmitters -filling in 3 empty zones in the first 8 hardwires zones such that my NX-124 zone keypad works.

Again, the limitation may come to be a 16 zone receiver module -need to review my laptop to see what shows up in configuration or get eyes on the board's model # - in which case the NX-148eRF will be the easiest fix I believe. From a programming standpoint, I currently use the DL900 and direct connect module to program my system due to the ease in viewing those changes directly on my laptop. Bought all kinds of stuff to expand my system, diagnostic tools plus make fixes/updates myself and still spent way less than the original install cost of some $1700. Have been very happy with its reliability overall.

Old 10-17-17, 06:48 PM
B
Originally Posted by williakz View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. My installer's coming over on Tuesday to give things a look-see and give (well, not exactly give) me the benefit of his wireless experience so I don't do anything stupid (should say stupider than usual). I'll probably replace my existing NX-6V2 panel with "Old Faithful," the NX-8E for future expandability and built-in serial communication for event logging/program changes. I have the NX-148E-RF wireless keypad already installed closest to where I need some wireless sensors (glass break for casement windows and some contacts on the entry doors of a small guest house, actually a glorified detached garage).
I'd have chosen the NX8E if I knew then what I know now. That said, same for the keypad you have. I bought more keypad and alarm than I needed -at the time; however, wood floor installation destroyed hard-wiring. I fixed one PIR and all other went wireless. Then the double hung windows necessitate a mid-frame mount to catch top or bottom movement and I can no longer link the set of 3 nearby windows to a single transmitter without all sorts of re-wiring and visible reed switches...so more wireless. And as much as I loved my installers, they were/are very expensive. Good work, but slow [charging by the hour] and I like to fiddle with electronics.

Old 10-18-17, 02:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
The zones don't need to be in banks of 8, and I'm pretty sure you can map the wireless zones onto zones 1-8, and the wireless will take priority (I think you have to resistor off the hardwired zone input).