Ademco 4111 XM/First Alert 150 C. Help Needed

Old 10-17-17, 08:17 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ademco 4111 XM/First Alert 150 C. Help Needed

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice for problems I am having with an alarm.

The alarm is an Ademco 4111 XM/First Alert 150 C. It monitors some smoke detectors and door entries. Attached to it is a zone expander board and board that drives the siren. It also has one wired keypad.

It has worked well for years. A while back the alert for low battery would pop up. I replaced the battery without checking it. The low battery alert kept popping up. Turns out the battery was good. The fuse was blown so I replaced the fuse and went ahead and replaced the transformer because of its age.

After this, there were no problems for a few weeks. Now a code pops up periodically for zone 9. This seems to always happen at night and the siren will sound.

The alarm has an outside speaker enclosed in a metal box. The top of the box has pulled away from the building. This may have allowed water in and may be placing some strain on the wire.

My plan was to reattach the box and replace the speaker thinking that it may have got wet and shorted out but I wanted to get some advice first.

According to the installation guide a zone 9 code is a tamper code. I assume this could be a number of things but wanted to check on here to see.

Thanks in advance for any advice and input.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-17, 07:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
On these older units, they used "zone 9" for a bunch of things. Any fault on a wired or wireless zone expander will generate this code. If you have wireless devices, it could be a failing transmitter, or a bad connection with an expansion board, or a loose cover on an expansion board.

Installer manual (page 5): http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Adem...n%20Manual.pdf

Old 10-18-17, 07:48 AM
C
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
What MrRonFL said, plus:
Your outside speaker box, if it was installed properly, will have a tamper switch(es) that will be on a 24-hour zone. That zone has nothing to do with Zone 9: As MrRonFL said, Zone 9 is _only_ for Expander troubles: It is a firmware zone and physically cannot be used as a wired zone.

You will want to find which zone is the tamper zone for your speaker box and Bypass it before you climb up a ladder to reattach the box: You do NOT want to be startled at the top of a tall ladder, and you don't want to hear your siren from 2 feet away.

If you can't find the speaker box tamper zone for certain, it might be best to power the system down first.

If there is no 24-hour tamper zone, and the speaker is accessible with an outside ladder, then shame on the installer (unless it was a DIY job).

Old 10-18-17, 07:13 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies and help. Today the keypad says 09 alarm. The system does have a wired zone expander. There is not a wireless transmitter at the panel. So is there anything obvious and easy to check related to the zone expander? With the 09 code does that isolate the problem to the expander board or can it include anything connected to the board, e.g. detectors?

Is it possible to have a wire running off the zone expander board and then a wireless transmitter connected father down the line?

Thanks for the heads up on the speaker tamper. I plan to firmly attached it back to the building and I definitely don't want it to sound!

Old 10-19-17, 01:15 AM
C
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
If I understand your question, yes, it's possible to have a 4219 or 4229 hardwired expansion board, and then an RF (wireless) RECEIVER board also somewhere remote from the 4111XM Control Panel. The RF Receiver can be connected either the the CP, or to the 4219 Expander. Expansion boards and Keypads all connect to Terminals 4, 5, 6, and 7, so it's pretty easy to account for all keybus devices by counting wires connected to T6 and T7. (usually green and yellow)

Any unknown RF Receiver will have to be connected either at the control panel (Terminals 4, 5, 6, and 7) or piggybacked on the 4219.

Use the link MrRonFL posted, if you haven't already, and look at the Installer Manual. Study the programming for a bit and you'll see how to check programming to see what's in your system.