System Sensor 2100S Smoke Detector

Old 10-22-17, 07:14 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
System Sensor 2100S Smoke Detector

I'm hoping someone can help me with a 2100S detector question. Our home has 8 of these detectors installed and we've experienced 3 false alarms in the last 4 days. Is there a way for me to single out which detector is activating the alarm? 7 of the 8 detector are blinking red and 1 is blinking green. Each time we've experienced a false alarm the alarm/fire panel only shows "Smoke Detector".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-17, 07:51 PM
C
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
It's normal for hardwired smoke detectors to all be wired on one zone. The 2100S is a two-wire sensor, so it will be a designated zone on whatever control panel you have. (It always helps to identify your control panel model--what is it?)

The blinking red LED on the smoke detector indicates that it went into alarm. If 7 out of 8 are blinking red, then either something is going on in your house, like maybe drywall repair (?); or you never reset your smoke detectors and some of them may have already been blinking for months.
Smoke detectors have finite service lives and should be changed at least every 10 years, but I doubt that 7 of them are getting flaky at the same time. (unless they were left uncovered during drywall repair)

When the smokes trigger into alarm, you have to do two things:
(1) You have to enter some sequence (varies by make and model:What model control panel do you have?) to stop the noise. That does NOT reset the smoke sensor.
(2); You have to Reset the smoke sensor after stopping the noise. If you don't reset the smokes, the sensor's red LED will keep blinking until you do and will still be blinking when _another_ sensor trips into alarm, and confuse the issue. Again, the procedure to reset varies with make and model of control panel. What's yours?

If your fire zone has not be Reset, then your keypads will not display a Ready-to-Arm Status. (the exact display varies with make and model of control panel and keypad.) Bur if you don't usually arm your system (some people don't) , you might not notice that. So again, the question. Do you Reset your fire zone, or is it possible that some of those detectors have been blinking for a long time and you haven't noticed? If you were able to arm in between the 3 smoke alarms, then something is likely to be going on in your environment.

Old 10-22-17, 08:37 PM
Z
ChosunOne,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. The keypad is not identified but I can tell you the system is a Ademco model Vista-50P or Vista-50PUL. I never reset the system/detectors or at least I don't believe I did. After the last false alarm I entered our passcode to silence the alarm. At the time I went to rearm the system the pad showed fault code "Smoke Detectors", I once again reentered my passcode and the system rearmed.

With regard to your other questions, no construction/drywall repairs have been done lately. With consideration to the blinking red lights, I think they've been blinking for years.

Last edited by zooming993; 10-22-17 at 08:43 PM. Reason: more information
Old 10-22-17, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 932 Votes on 869 Posts
The smoke detectors have a normal slow heart beat blink. Somewhere between 5-10 seconds a flash.
If they are blinking fast..... they are in the armed/tripped mode. The alarm system should not be resetable with any smoke detector blinking fast.

The alarm system removes power to the smoke detectors to reset them. With some systems the code and off is entered twice.

Old 10-23-17, 09:35 AM
Z
Update: This morning I removed all detectors and cleaned them with compressed air. Upon doing this I found I have three different System Sensor model numbers installed, 2100S, 2100TD and 2W-B. None of the detectors had excessive amount of dust but I did find one of the detectors had some water penetration (roof leak). The test contact is a little corroded and there is a small rust stain in the interior of the main housing/cover. Would this finding be the cause of the false alarms?

Thanks

Old 10-23-17, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 932 Votes on 869 Posts
The 2100S is just a smoke detector.
The 2100TD has a temperature sensor in addition to the smoke detector.
The 2W-B is also just a smoke detector.

Water inside a unit could be a problem and cause a false alarm.

Old 10-24-17, 05:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
Actually, the older system sensor models blink red, normally. The newer 2W-B blinks green. When _any_ of the smokes is actually triggered, the LED will latch on solid red, until reset. None of these models have a "memory mode".

Lacking a latched LED, the water damage is generally a pretty good indicator of the source of your false trips.

Old 10-24-17, 08:08 PM
Z
Thank you for all the replies. No false alarms since taking the water damaged detector out of the loop. Ordered a new detector today, I'll post results in a week or so.

Old 10-25-17, 02:04 PM
T
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
As ChosunOne mentioned, smoke detectors (and smoke alarms) are not to remain in service more than 10 years after their date of manufacture. That's been part of the Fire Alarm Code for several code cycles. Off the top of my head, I'd say some of your detectors might be old enough to buy a drink.

Smoke detectors are cheap. Order enough to replace them all and be done with them for 10 years.