Power 832 - Help Removing a Zone

Old 10-23-17, 06:51 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power 832 - Help Removing a Zone

I have a Power 832 system in a new house I just bought. I have done basic programming on it to configure the zone types, but just had some windows replaced, which were Zone 7 on the system. There were no physical sensors/buttons on the windows, and they didn't find any wiring in the windows themselves, but the zone would trigger when the windows opened. But now with the new windows, that zone is showing open..

I'm not sure if there is any way to get the zone working again (could there have been some sort of magnet inside the wood of the old window?), but if not, my next option is to just remove/ignore this zone completely. I've tried setting the zone to be a null zone with the following steps:
Installer Code
03 for zone 1
... 2 digit zone types for zones 2-6 ...
00 for zone 7
.. 2 digit zone type for zone 8
##
It seems that the zone is successfully set as a null zone, because when I go back in again, I can see it set to 00, but the Ready light still is not lit, and when I scroll to the Right, it says:
System Open:
DINING RM WNDW
Do I need to do something different to disable this zone? Thanks for any assistance!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-17, 05:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
Typically the contact and it's magnet would have been in the window sill, and lower moving section of the window, respectively. Very often when windows get replaced, the contractor will zip through those hidden wires and often not even notice them. If you are willing to open the wall below the window, you have a good chance of finding the cut end(s) of the wire so you can fix it and install new contact(s)

Look carefully at the windows that didn't get replaced. If you spot a small disc in the window sill, that's the contact. The missing ones would have typically been in a similar location.

The short term fix for the zone is to jumper the zone input closed at the motherboard (with a 5.6K resistor if your system used the resistors, or with a simple wire jumper if the EOL option was turned off).

Old 10-24-17, 06:24 PM
W
Thank you for the response. For the short term fix, to jumper the zone closed (I don't think the system used resistors), where would I connect a wire? I'm assuming it needs to come from Z7, but would I run it from Z7 to COM next to it?

Here is a picture of the motherboard:

Old 10-25-17, 02:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
Yes, from the zone terminal to common.

Old 10-26-17, 04:50 PM
W
This worked perfectly. I will try to look at some of the other windows that have not been replaced, but I appreciate your help with this! Thank you!