Hard Wired Smoke Alarm keeps going off when plugged in

Old 11-02-17, 05:24 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard Wired Smoke Alarm keeps going off when plugged in

We just bought a new house that has a hard wired smoke alarm setup, but all the smoke alarms were gone when me moved in. We bought some new smoke alarms, but as soon as I plug one into one of the old wires it starts going off, and this will happen at any one of the locations. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-17, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Are they interconnected ? Is there a red, black and white wire in the box ?

If you have three wires.... the white and black should be power and the red wire is the interconnect.

All the smoke detectors need to be of the same brand and type to be interconnected.

Old 11-02-17, 01:49 PM
Received 189 Votes on 171 Posts
We just bought a new house that has a hard wired smoke alarm setup, but all the smoke alarms were gone when me moved in.
I don't know about your state, but in NY that is against the law and can result in a fine. I would check with your lawyer and or realtor. If the wire units are not working or were taken away it is the sellers responsibility to make it right before you sign the papers.

Old 11-02-17, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
new house that has a hard wired smoke alarm setup
Good point Norm. A new house MUST have them installed before the sale and they are not to be removed at the sale time

Old 11-03-17, 02:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
To answer the basic question: Double check the house. If there is a smoke alarm or heat detector still connected to that interconnect wiring, and it's a different brand, or model, it could be setting off your new devices when you connect them to the harness. It's also possible that one of the connections may have the wrong wire connected to the interconnect wiring.