heat detector above furnace

Old 11-08-17, 09:02 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
heat detector above furnace

I am required by city code to put a smoke detector out side of the bedrooms. In my house there is a small hallway directly outside the bedrooms with a floor/wall furnace which supplies heat to the bedrooms and on the other side of the wall, the living room.

My problem is that any smoke detectors that I put in the hallway constantly false alarms. So the building dept suggested that I put a heat detector in the hall.

My question is can I put a heat detector directly above a floor furnance? I think the temp at the ceiling would be above 135 deg (which would set off the alarm) and also I would think that the rate of rise would also be a problem.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-08-17, 02:21 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My question would be how would a heat detector satisfy the code when it requires a smoke detector? You don't want to install that only to have another inspector say that it doesn't comply.

Old 11-08-17, 04:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
If it's a direct radiant heat type system, they yes, your concerns are likely valid. If you have detectors in the sleeping rooms, and this is at the insistence of the code compliance people, you may have to use a 194F fixed temp device to satisfy their desire for a device in that location.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: