Looking For A Self-Managed Outdoor Inconspicuous Security Camera

Old 11-09-17, 10:28 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking For A Self-Managed Outdoor Inconspicuous Security Camera

Hello,

I'm looking for an outdoor, inconspicuous motion sensing camera that can be self-managed (no monthly premiums) - this can be in the form of combination light / camera that mounts on an electrical outlet, flood light w/ camera, or just a stand-alone camera. I like the idea of the combination light since the camera is mostly hidden or inconspicuous and it can mount on an existing electrical outlet.

The problem with the solutions that I have found (namely Kuna) is that in order to use the motion sensing feature (and then upload pictures or video to a server), there is a monthly service fee. Since I'm technical enough, I have my own FTP server I can use (to upload motion sensing activity) as well as the ability to set up port forwarding on my router for remote viewing.

Any help or assistance in finding a camera to fit my needs is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-09-17, 01:53 PM
A
I use the Arlo camera system. They are cam only, no lights. The cameras synch to a base station which is connected to your home wi-fi. The video that is captured can be saved to Arlo's cloud but the capacity is probably not very high. You can, of course, buy more capacity.
This works for me... i don'thave to save much video...only if there is a bad guy!

I bought my system from amazon. It was fairly easy to set up, customer service was good when i got stuck on one thing. It alerts me to motion thru my smart phone. The cams work on batteries (2 CR123's per camera) so you don't have to mess with a power cord. The batteries last about 6 months.

Overall the system works great for me.

Old 11-09-17, 02:07 PM
G
Thank you for the quick reply.... I'm ok with a camera only, as long as it doesn't look like a camera (if that makes sense?). Also, I'm not looking to send the video or pics to their cloud since this most definitely will cost $$. I prefer to send to my cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc). Also, I would be looking to mount the camera / light over an existing electrical fixture so that it receives AC power and it can connect to my home WiFi. I was looking for a solution that doesn't charge any type of monthly service fee.

Old 11-09-17, 02:53 PM
A
And just to be clear, Arlo does not charge me for their basic service. They do have more features for extra fees, but the basic is no charge.

Old 11-09-17, 04:14 PM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
Just do a Google "outdoor secret spy cams". Lots to choose from. Price is another story. May I ask why it must be hidden? In most cases the "advertised" fact that a cam is on premises is enough to deter theft or damage. I have an outdoor cam located under the eaves right at the front door. Nobody seems to notice it unless I point it out! My cam are just the ordinary pan and tilt WiFI.

Old 11-09-17, 05:57 PM
G
Norm201 - I'm not looking to deter theft, etc. It's more of a way to track whether my pool and yard people are showing up when they say they are. I also don't want my yard to look like a 'prison' :-)

Thanks for the search suggestion... I'll perform some searches similar to that to see what I come up with.

Old 11-09-17, 06:00 PM
G
aces-n-eights; I'll look deeper into Arlo's service plans. Thx

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: