Help with Vista 20P zones, fire, and PIR

Old 11-17-17, 10:10 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help with Vista 20P zones, fire, and PIR

Hi,

My family and I moved into our home a little over a year ago, and found that it had an Ademco Vista 20P (possibly a 15P) installed, but not active. The system was likely installed new in 2003. Using various Internet sources, I was able to obtain the installer code, enter programming mode, set my master code, determine the numbers of all of my entry zones (doors), and disable the dialer.

The system also has a keyfob (working for arm and disarm), 1 PIR sensor in the main living space downstairs, 5 smoke detectors that I believe are connected to the system, and 1 heat detector that is mounted close to the keypad and siren.

I'm not sure about the model of the (single) keypad, but it is a fixed display, not alpha-numeric.

I'm having trouble determining the zone(s) assigned for the smoke detectors and the PIR motion sensor.

Regarding the PIR sensor, I removed the cover and found a 3v lithium battery, but it seems like it may also be wired - is that possible? When I opened the cover on the sensor, the keypad showed "check 09." Initially, I thought that might be be the zone for the PIR, but with further reading it seems that 9 may be a virtual zone.

I tried putting the system in test mode and walking in front of the sensor, but no sound was made and no zone was indicated on a keypad. Any ideas about how to determine whether that sensor is wired or wire and what zone it is wired to?

Regarding the smoke detectors, these were originally Firex, but have been replaced with BRK 9120Bs. The smoke detectors work, and when one alarms, they all do, but I can't figure out how the fire zone(s) are wired or numbered. When I test any of the detectors, the key does not show any alarm. When I key a fire alarm from the keypad, it shows Fire 95 and all of the detectors do sound.

I'm hoping to integrate the existing sensors into a DIY smart home security solution. I have found a project that does this, but it only works with wired sensors.

In any case, I'd really appreciate anyone's input regarding the PIR and smoke detector zone questions above.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-17, 07:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
The smoke alarms are not part of the security system. Those are single-station, interconnected smoke alarms. They are not alarm system devices.

If your system is a Vista 15p/20p, the wireless zones can start at zone 9. The "virtual zone 9" is a feature of the earlier model; the Vista 20se.