Suggestions to upgrade my Vista 20

Old 12-07-17, 10:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestions to upgrade my Vista 20

I installed a Vista 20 probably 6-7 years ago with the intentions of just getting it installed and then expanding it later. I have 4 doors with wired sensors on 3 of them and a wireless sensor on the other one. Two keypads, the interior siren, and the exterior siren are also wired back to the panel. When wiring, I did leave several runs to different places to make it easier to wire other sensors in the future if necessary. The system is not monitored.

I am just looking for some upgrade ideas. I know the first thing I should do is add some motion or glass break sensors. I guess I never got around to that because I just wanted to get something to start with and was worried about not getting the sensors right and having false alarms. But besides that, I am thinking about the system overall. It would be nice to be able to monitor it better, have more control over it remotely through my phone. Are there some good upgrades to this system, or am I better off with a different system? I know this wasn't the easiest to configure but I read the book and figured it all out the first time around. I would totally have to review everything again though now because it has been so long.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-17, 05:41 PM
C
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
dm888, assuming you're the same poster as "dman76" who asked the same question about his VISTA-20P on the SHIELDLAB DIY Forum, be advised that it's _critical_ to give _full_ nomenclature of your panel's model number when asking advice. There IS a Vista-20 panel, a Vista-20SE panel, and a Vista-20P panel, all different enough to make a difference when giving you advice on how you can upgrade them. On the Vista-20P panel, I believe it's important to know the Rev number printed on the CPU chip to know if it can support the module you'd need to link it to the internet.

Those who share their expertise here spend a lot of time playing 20 questions before they can advise you properly. Full information makes the process go faster.

Having said all that, I will have to wait for one of the other experts to weigh in on what you need to add to your system. I retired years ago, before the Vista-20 Series panels became internet-connectible, so while I know that the later models can be linked to the Net, I don't want to give you the wrong advice.

Please post back and confirm you're talking about a Vista-20P, and which Rev (Revision) number on the CPU chip on the mother board.

Old 12-07-17, 10:38 PM
D
Hey thank you for info, I do apologize. It is a Vista 20 P and the Rev No. is 9.12.

Old 12-08-17, 03:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
There are a number of DIY friendly third party modules that are compatible with your system that will allow you remote access.

There's one by ipdatatel, another by envisalink, as well as low cost monitoring services that work with DIYs.

Old 12-10-17, 05:40 PM
Turns out I have a similar question. My house came with an ADT 3000/Vista 20P, though monitoring had long lapsed. I appear to have a good hard-wired sensor network including motion detection and smoke alarms.

I used the system for a while, and also replaced the battery when it pooped out. After about a year, it developed the "FC" communication error at which point I stopped using it for a while. This weekend I found how to recover my installer code and wipe out the defunct dialer data, and the unit seems to work now. Like OP, I'd like to know more about the unit and what upgrades may be available for it. Getting it onto the internet would be nice.

(What doesn't make sense to me is that without a monitoring service, I used the unit fine for more than a year until the FC error popped up. Seems like that communications failure would have happened as soon as monitoring went off?)

Text screened on CPU board:
SAVS20P3
WI50573

CPU sticker:
WA3001-2.4
Honeywell 2003
Rev 2.4

The system has a wireless communications board of some kind.

Text screened onto wireless board:
SA5882-4
F267
T2
R5
WI50720

Picture below. (I obscured the number on the chip as it did not seem like a model or revision number.)

Old 12-10-17, 06:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
The 5882 board is your wireless receiver.

The answer is much the same as above.

As long as you had a working phone line still connected, the system was still making timer tests that just went to a "null account" at their end. Somewhere in the intervening year, you either lost communications, or they changed their receiver phone number, thus the sudden FC.