Moose MPI-775 upgrade options?

Old 12-13-17, 03:10 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Moose MPI-775 upgrade options?

Good evening!

I just purchased a condo built in the 80's. It has the Moose MPI-775 system, which, from what I have gathered, does not have a central control box (like the Ademco Vista panels). Rather, all sensors and outputs are contained in the keypad itself. Here is my question:

Is such type of system available today? I would like to obviously use the hardwired sensors but a Vista 21IP box by the front door does not exactly work. I checked into the Lynx line, but those only have 1 hardwired zone. In this case, I have 3. Two of the hardwired zones are metal sliding glass doors so a wireless transmitter would stick out like a sore thumb. If there's no decent system-in-keypad product available today, I suppose I won't be able to use those hardwired zones, but I knew to check here because if you guys know of nothing, there's nothing available.

Thank you so much for your time!

Old 12-14-17, 03:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
No one really makes a design like that anymore.
One option is to use the hardwired input option on wireless transmitters to connect to the existing hardwired contacts. That would allow you to hide the transmitter up above your curtains or blinds.

Old 12-15-17, 02:19 PM
T
Thank you so much! You just gave me a great idea. I could incorporate a Honeywell/Ademco 5817XT- the wireless 3 zone transmitter, into the old junction box...wire the zones to that. Then I could house my security panel where I want and cover the junction box (and 5817XT) with a 5828 keypad. That just may work!

Old 12-15-17, 04:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
You can give it a shot, and it may well work. The problem with doing this with your existing wiring structure, is that the hardwired inputs on these transmitters generally recommend no more than 5-10 feet of wire; primarily because of the limited battery power in the transmitter.

If your wiring is in good shape, and the overall resistance of the loops isn't too high, it has a fair chance of being stable.

Old 12-16-17, 02:06 PM
T
Great- will report back if anyone is interested in knowing how it went. I am also concerned about the RF propagation inside a junction box and behind the keypad, but the distance is no more than 30 or so feet.

Thank you again so much Ron!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: