Is Vista 21ip internet connectivity proprietary or open to end users?

Old 12-20-17, 08:43 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
20P + Envisalink vs Vista 21ip - same or different capabilities?

I am looking at Honeywell Vista 21ip as a replacement for my incomplete Moose security system. I like 21ip's internet connectivity for notifications. What I am not sure is how does that differ than i.e. 20p with Envisalink? Is Envisalink only an addon to get internet connectivity or does it offer more than 21ip system?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-17, 01:16 PM
D
Is Vista 21ip internet connectivity proprietary or open to end users?

If I were to get Vista 21ip system, would I be able to program it to send e-mail notifications to my e-mail or phone without using third party monitoring service?

Old 12-20-17, 04:22 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
This question is way above my pay scale and I don't know the true answer. However, I rather doubt it. It CAN call your cell phone and using Caller ID you would know it was the alarm calling but I don't think it can send either E-mail or text messages.

I suspect there are VERY few consumer-level alarms that can send such messages. The primary reason is that premises alarm systems are very slow to evolve. Manufacturer's must submit them to testing laboratories for torture testing to find their breaking point. They need to be compatible with the existing monitoring networks which are also slow to change.

There ARE a few, maybe more than a few, "voice dialers" that can send pre-recorded voice messages but few have passed the rigorous testing required for "Listing" as an approved alarm device. These voice dialers generally have a limited number of inputs, the ones I have seen or read about are usually four but there are other (more expensive) models that have greater possibilities. There are also industrial alarm systems that DO have the capability of sending voice or paging messages but the cost is quite high, into several thousands of dollars for the models I am familiar with.

Old 12-20-17, 07:24 PM
D
So what are the best options for self monitoring that includes notification while I am away and when one of the sensors is triggered? I do not need to control the system over the internet as this may be insecure but I would like to be notified when it is triggered as most of the time, I am only about 15 minutes away from home. Burglars will most likely be long gone but at least I can get home and notify police in the meantime. I thought that internet enabled panel should give me some sort of ways of sending alerts to an e-mail or phone.

Old 12-21-17, 03:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 90 Posts
The advanced features of the V21iP require connection to an AlarmNet account to work. Third party devices like the Envisalink just need internet connection.

Old 12-21-17, 06:08 AM
D
Thank you guys. I will go with 20p and Envisalink then. It looks like this combo will give me features I want.