Smoke alarm - 10yr battery with voice?

Old 01-05-18, 07:06 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smoke alarm - 10yr battery with voice?

Anyone know a reliable smoke detector with a 10yr Lith battery and voice alarm that doesn't have bad reviews about sounding off randomly?

I need to install new alarms with 10yr Lith batteries. Those I've found with 10yr bats and voice have horrible reviews. I realize I may need to pay more, but I'm looking for alarms in the $30-$50 range.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by stev379; 01-05-18 at 08:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-18, 10:46 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the type carried in big box stores. Kidde is the brand I believe. However, I typically get the AC powered ones with battery backup. I have one battery powered one in my home, which hasn't given me any issues to date. It's been installed for a couple years. Not sure if it's the 10 year Li-ion type.

What are the complaints you are reading? They need to be cleaned with compressed air or vacuum at least once a year.

Old 01-05-18, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I've only ever heard the combo smoke / CO. detectors speak to identify which alarm condition it was in.

Old 01-05-18, 11:51 AM
S
Thanks for the reply(ies).
I guess I'll have spend more on them than I planned. I had hoped something like this would be suitable, but I suppose $22 won't cover the options I want. Kidde P3010B
https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Worry-F...S9QC5JPJ31QQQE

The well reviewed smoke detectors with voice notification also have CO detectors and the cost goes up. I'd rather use separate detectors for different purposes so it's cheaper to replace when needed. I found a 2 pack of Kidde 10yr batt detectors with voice for about $100 though I don't see a model number on it. Amazon ==> Kidde Worry-Free 10 Year Battery Combination Smoke and CO Alarm with Voice (2-Pack per Case) - Though it's only got 4 reviews at the moment.

Old 01-05-18, 12:11 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you're willing to go with battery powered 2AA as opposed to 10year lithium, this is an option. I just picked one of these up and haven't had any issues with this style:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-06-18, 09:06 AM
S
They just change the law in Maryland. We're required to use a 10yr battery.

Old 01-06-18, 01:55 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
I think the time will come when all battery powered smoke alarms will come with non-replaceable 10-year batteries:
  1. The end-user won't have to replace batteries.
  2. The 10-year life of the smoke alarm itself is reinforced.
Then they have to come up with a way to enforce the 10-year end-of-life for system smoke detectors.