DIY Home Security--DSC Components

Old 01-08-18, 11:14 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY Home Security--DSC Components

Hi,

I'm looking to set up a home security system. I'd like some help picking components. Things I'm looking for are reliability, self-monitoring/full control, alerts/visual checking over smartphone, and wireless since this is an older home (I won't be installing wiring all over the house).

Honeywell and DSC seem reliable. I've settled on DSC but if someone recommends Honeywell or another brand, I'm willing to listen.

For DSC, here are the components I'm considering:

PC1616 PowerSeries control panel (could use PC1832 or PC1864--PC1864 would give me more wireless zones)
WT5500/WT5500P wireless keypad
TR5164-433 transceiver for wireless keypad
EnvisaLink EVL-4

Transformer (for control panel power)
Siren
Fob or key
Door sensor (for front door)
Glass break sensor (for patio door)
Window sensors

Cameras for front and patio. Can someone recommend a DSC camera? Since it is wireless, will I also need the C24-HUB or will my own wireless router do the trick?

Am I able to integrate other wireless cameras not by DSC, such as Nest, Arlo, Foscam?

Lastly, where is a good online retailer to purchase all this? I'm located in the US.

Greatly appreciate any feedback or anecdotes with your own security system. I'm sure there are things I haven't thought about.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-18, 02:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
You need a wired keypad, as well. You can't do the initial setup with just the wireless keypad.

Cameras are actually independent systems from the intrusion alarm. They don't share tech with the alarm system.

Old 01-09-18, 10:20 AM
H
Thanks for the input! I did not know a wired keypad was required.

For initial setup, will a RFK5564 or RFK5500 work? They are wired with a built-in wireless receiver. I believe this should allow me to omit the TR5164-433 transceiver and still use a wireless keypad. Is this correct?

Since cameras as independent, it sounds like I could use any camera system. Researching, the wireless DSC cameras all need a HUB of some sort and those are discontinued by DSC AFAIK. So other brands may be desirable.

Any good sites for purchasing equipment?

Old 01-09-18, 06:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
Yes, a RF receiver model keypad will do what you want.

Old 01-11-18, 07:46 AM
H
Thanks, MrRonFL. I think I have a good enough understanding now to proceed with this project.