Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

DSC Power832 and Internet connectivity

01-10-18, 02:10 PM   #1  
DSC Power832 and Internet connectivity

I would like to end service on my landline that I am only using for so my alarm system can communicate with the alarm company. The alarm monitoring company I am with has the ability to do IP based monitoring over the internet. Is there an easy way to upgrade my Power832 unit to enable this option? Should I consider replacing the unit with something else? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

FL

01-10-18, 04:35 PM   #2  
DSC makes a number of IP communicator modules, most of which are backward compatible with the older Power Series models.

DSC

Find out if any of them will work for the protocols that your provider has available.

"Ask the Right Question..."
- from _The Snow Queen_ by Joan D. Vinge-

01-10-18, 10:16 PM   #3  
This is my provider: COPS Monitoring | Alarm Monitoring | Reliable Monitoring

Forum Topic Moderator

FL

01-11-18, 02:29 AM   #4  
That basic TL300 should work. Whoever is your COPS dealer probably has to do the configuration.

01-11-18, 12:09 PM   #5  
I am really sick of having to go back to my dealer for every little thing I need when I can do it myself. How would I go about finding a reliable provider that caters to diyers and end users?

Forum Topic Moderator

FL

01-11-18, 03:49 PM   #6  
Honestly, there aren't very many. A: it's not really the central station business model; and B: it's such a liability bear-trap that most of them prefer to work with listed dealers.

That said: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.rk1jvfXICW4

01-12-18, 11:40 AM   #7  
Thanks so much for your help MrRonFL.

By any chance are you also familiar with the EnvisaLink EVL-4 ? I am wondering if this is better than the TLS250/300, as it offers access to the alarm system through a smartphone app. The one thing I can't get a definitive answer on is whether it can also be used as an IP communicator with the central service station. I emailed the company but they gave me a pretty useless answer. They have not responded to my follow up questions.

Forum Topic Moderator

FL

01-12-18, 03:17 PM   #8  
A lot of people use this solution, and seem to be happy with it.

They do offer their own central station service, but I'm not certain if any other IP capable monitoring services are compatible with it.

Again, the thing to do is ask your central station provider what hardware they support.

Search this Thread