impassa alarm ethernet module

Old 01-16-18, 08:53 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
impassa alarm ethernet module

Hi, new here and have a question. I have an Impassa allarm installed by an ADT 3rd party and monitored by ADT. Turns out I signed a 3 yr contract without knowing it. The installer had said I could cancel at any time. Well, I have a year and a bit left, so will pay them until then, but I am planning on cancelling monitoring after that - I have a separate camera system with alarms that pushes to my phone and I can see all aspects of the house, so not that worried about monitoring - and nothing of any worth that you wouldn't need a truck to actually get out of our house and there hasn't been any burglaries in our neighborhood in years... so I don't need the 'an unmonitored alarm is useless talk...' to be honest we use it mostly for when we are home at night.

We fully paid for and own the alarm. It has the wireless GPRS phone module in it for monitoring. So when I decide to cancel ADT, I am planning on replacing it with the DSC Ethernet module. Just finished running cat5 cable to the alarm from my comms room (before they finished drywalling the basement ceiling thankfully) so all set there.

I am assuming that I can use this to send alerts to myself somehow. I have installed a couple of alarms in the past and used this method to email me if the alarm went off... but it wasn't an impassa alarm. I haven't got too far into programming this alarm, very minor things, but I have the installer code so I have been looking around and it doesn't seem to user friendly via the keypad... but then none of them do until you get into it I guess. It also mentions PC link and DLS software to program from a PC... is this something that is available, and is it free, inexpensive, expensive? and the cable? or am I better off just knuckling down and figuring out the keypad method. So anyway, are there any fatal flaws in my plan? Anyone with any experience of the DSC ethernet module and what it can/can't do? Appreciate any advice or pointers to docs/sites that might help.

Thanks
Bill

Old 01-24-18, 10:45 PM
H
Messaging via internet

Hi -

I'm am local Alarm Dealer in Missouri that installs DSC equipment frequently. ADT or any other National alarm installation company can't offer lower cost installed systems without a hefty contract. At 36 months, you have a narrow time window to cancel before auto-renew. Read your contract cancellation clause.

The DSC ethernet module is used for a continuous (frequent pinging) connection to a DSC companion receiver located in a Central Station where the information is passed onto automation then to an operator. Signals are sent encrypted. The DSC ethernet communicator is exceptionally difficult to program the first time or two. Nobody would or could talk you through it.
No 3rd party ethernet communicator I'm aware of is capable of your request.

Before the end of your contract, check your options for alternate Alarm Dealers that can provide support & service. As you know, there are DIY monitoring services in the USA.

Your homeowners policy should provide a discount if your system is alarm dealer monitored. The insurance companies ask us to certify monitoring of intrusion and/or fire with some asking if there is primary or backup cellular communications.

Non-wireline dial phone service usually has a weakness of multiple points of failure - without being detected between the automated communication tests sent to the central station. Power failure to the cable modem providing premise phone service seems to be a common limitation due to no or short duration battery backup.

Finally, you mention GPRS cellular. AT&T officially turned off 2G GSM (which provides GPRS data) service over a year ago. Dealers were given at least 2 years notice. Not just alarm companies, replacement of devices in every common carrier like UPS, FEDEX and over the road transport and many more devices.

Some rural areas may still have AT&T 2G service. T-Mobile 2G is still online. That's great for foreign visitors roaming. Verizon 2.5G CDMA is due to sunset around 2020-22 Current units sold by cellular alarm mfg. are HSPA+ for AT&T and LTE for Verizon (LTE radios available since about Q2 2016. My company had to change out hundreds of devices over the period. We absorbed nearly all labor & overhead & charged cost for the equipment.

If you prefer a local only alarm, be sure to have a trusted neighbor whom gives a damn and seldom goes on vacation.

What would I do? Look for an alarm panel made with DIY in mind. Qolsys was bought by DSC and uses Android OS for operation. It uses specific encrypted wireless sensors. 2GIG is very popular.
Resolution products makes the Helix system which I believe uses the same encrypted DSC wireless. Later you could add some home automation. Of course, if you have a large system you need to look for existing wireless compatibility.

I believe the learning curve would be much less than learning to fully program a DSC dealer installed system.

Best,

Craig

Last edited by HawkerXP; 01-24-18 at 11:30 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-25-18, 06:36 AM
W
HI, thanks for the comprehensive email! Yeah, I know GSM is gone, its just I can't think of what the new thing is they use, it was GSM when I was setting up wireless. Anyway, it has a phone sim in it and talks over mobile wireless network, and it does work. I've looked at my contract and from what I can tell it goes to month to month after 3 yrs, but I am obviously going to confirm that.

I have a LOT of sensors, all the 1st floor doors and windows all basement windows, and any windows accessible from roofs on the 2nd floor. I would not have to reinvest in those so I would definitely want a panel that works with them. I guess I will check with other monitoring companies as well... if they can monitor it for as much as I get off my insurance that would be great, I think it works out that I get about 25 bucks per month less on my insurance. When ADT said they were raising their rate from 50 to 55 per month I went ballistic. They removed the raised fee from my account anyway, but still want to get it from 50 down to like 30 per month max.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: