Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

While problem solving NX-8 lost master code in armed position! Help!

CO

02-08-18, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)  
While problem solving NX-8 lost master code in armed position! Help!

Back in 2009 we fired our security company and took over our NX-8 with 24 zones and NX148 keypads. Our County Sheriff no longer takes any calls from a security device unless owner can be present. No use to us. We had done well with getting panel to call my cell if an alarm is triggered. We have enough cameras to see if caused by a break-in. After we updated our infrareds last year, we have had no unexplained trips. Until last night. Keypads went crazy with beeping and "fire" light blinking and message was "Service". Keypad were freaking out. Finally got them to show "Control Power Trouble". Checked AC adapter voltage, plus the battery voltage. Both fine. We did have a backup adapter and connected that. Then proceeded to test system one zone at a time disconnected. No joy. Then we disconnected 2 of 3 keypads and everything came back! Then we tried to figure out which keypad or keypad zone was "broken" . During that process the "working" keypad "lost" our master code. In trying a whole bunch of things, it got accidentally armed. There does not seem to be any way to "clear" the panel of its "armed" state! We cannot imagine why it locked us out like that. When we took over our system we reprogrammed all codes to have full privacy from a company. Looked for a way to get to "factory default". Could not find.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

FL

02-08-18, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)  
There is no hardware back door for a NX system. The DL900 software can view codes.
It sounds like you may have either a keypad wiring issue, or the internal power supply on the system board is failing.

When you checked your battery, did you test it under load? A battery can read good voltage unloaded, but create havok when connected to the system if it has internal shorts.

Unless you managed to go into user code programming, there is no real way to lose or disable the master code.

"Ask the Right Question..."
- from _The Snow Queen_ by Joan D. Vinge-

Group Moderator

NJ

02-08-18, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)  
I would agree. Possibly too many items on the AUX power bus.
That will do that exactly.

~ Pete ~

CO

02-08-18, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Thank you for the replies. No, stupidly, we did not check it under a load. We suspected all along it was the battery. We were about to just shut it down and get another battery when I mistakenly pushed the exit button. I feel pretty bad about it. We will get another battery and try it. But if we fried the panel, it is not the end of the world. We have a really nice wired system with a few wireless items, so do not want to go to a wireless system that can be seen in China ...we will just get another panel and really get to know this system. Will let you know how it all ends up. Good project for those of us who are in our 70s. I have a 588E and downloaded the DLX900 (or must I use the old DL900 which was made for DOS)? Will struggle thru that.
SugarMom

Last edited by SugarMom; 02-08-18 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Not complete

Forum Topic Moderator

FL

02-09-18, 03:16 AM   #5 (permalink)  
If you have then direct connect module and the software (you want the newer version, not the DOS), then you have the right tool.

If the panel actually is damaged, just replace the motherboard and move on. A wired system is always preferred to wireless.

CO

02-09-18, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)  
Thanks Mr. Ron. I am looking at perhaps a more up to date system such as DSC PowerSeries Neo 2064.
SugarMom

Forum Topic Moderator

FL

02-09-18, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)  
Since you are already used to the interface, and already have the hardware basically installed, I'd recommend sticking with the NX series. The two product lines are pretty equal in features.

Search this Thread