Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Working with NX-588E

CO

02-13-18, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Working with NX-588E

Working with NX-8 panel, NX-588E, DXL900 software, NXProg.exe., and up to date WIN 10 laptop.
I downloaded the USBser,sys and the driver NX588.inf from Interlogix site. I was able to install the 588 into COM 3 and it shows up as a USB device that is working properly. However, WIN 10 would not allow me to manually install the .inf file. It says "WIN 10 knows best what works". Neither the NXProg.exe or the DLX900 detect the plugged in 588E.
I was so hoping I could use the 588E to download what is on my panel and upload the configuration into the DXL900 and vice versa. I put the NXProg.exe on the computer, just to see if it would detect the 588E.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Have our computers permanently outdated the device?
FYI, I have ordered a NX-8E and a NX-595 board. But until I am ready to convert over, I wanted this to work.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

FL

02-13-18, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)  
It's been awhile, but you should have followed the XP instructions. I think installing that USB.ser driver may have goofed you up. Normally, you plug in the device, and use the new hardware install prompts to work your way to the 588.inf driver. You _might_ have to use compatibility mode.

http://static.interlogix.com/library...%20REV%20C.pdf

The USB.ser driver was intended for a specific problem with a specific version of XP, and probably shouldn't have been installed at all.

https://static.interlogix.com/librar...3_Technote.pdf

"Ask the Right Question..."
- from _The Snow Queen_ by Joan D. Vinge-

CO

02-13-18, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Here's the rub: We have an old Win 7 laptop. I downloaded DXL900, plus the Usbser.sys and NX588.inf. After a few wrong turns I got the screen to be able to select and install the .inf driver. Ignored the usbser.sys file and I was then able to set up the DXL900, connect the NX588E to the laptop and to the panel and I just connected them. I had the panel overwrite the DXL900 worksheet for the alarm account. Relatively easy peasy. Win 10 allowed me to select the NX588.inf file but would not install it saying that it is not compatible with a 64-bit operating system. Oh for the good ol' days...and, yes, Windows has outdated this device. I don't see Interlogix hurrying to update their devices.
I have ordered a 595 ethernet module for the 8E. I sure hope it works with this WIN system. If not I will be really bummed out.

Last edited by SugarMom; 02-13-18 at 09:35 PM. Reason: typo

WA

02-13-18, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)  
Not that it helps your situation but this is why I have an older laptop with XP and I have no intention of "upgrading" it. It has an RS-232c serial port and I have several pieces of equipment that require this "outmoded" interface. USB adapters do not always work with the older equipment.

Back in the Win 98 days I had an ancient laptop that had DOS only. I had to cobble up a walkie talkie battery to power it but it was the only way to program a rather expensive alarm dialer that I couldn't replace.

Forum Topic Moderator

FL

02-14-18, 03:10 AM   #5 (permalink)  
The alarm industry does tend t drag it's heels on updating their programming software interfaces, I think everyone in this line of work has a "legacy" laptop that we maintain just to be able to run all of the older hardware interfaces.

I ended up sticking with a NX-586 module which does work with my usb-serial converter (Trend makes one that has worked with pretty much every thing I've tried it on).

"Ask the Right Question..."
- from _The Snow Queen_ by Joan D. Vinge-

Search this Thread