DSC Alarm system: Trouble condition 4

Old 02-25-18, 02:45 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC Alarm system: Trouble condition 4

Greetings to all experts in this area.

Model number uncertainty
I have a DSC home alarm installed in New Zealand, but the motherboard is built in Canada. Unfortunately, I can't tell for sure what the model number is since neither is it written in my user manual nor written on the control box itself. I have 2 motherboards installed in the control box (one is possibly for a digital keypad entry door). Perhaps an expert on this panel can tell easily which of these 2 model number relates to the alarm system itself that I'm trying to fix: PC5928 or PC5020. Or are neither of these numbers making any sense?

The issue: trouble condition 4

Every few days (frequency not recorded), at about 4:26 am the alarm system starts beeping, indicating "trouble" with a steady orange light on the display panel. On keying in *2 on the display keypad, the system indicates the number 4, which the user manual suggests stands for communication failure with the monitoring station.

I have a telephone line over fibre (having moved over from copper over a year ago), and the telephone like is working fine for telephone purposes (so it seems safe to rule out telephone line fault). My alarm is not monitored, and I have no intention of getting it monitored.

I can do workarounds like disconnecting the back-up battery for a while or taking the system to program mode to take the trouble light out for a few days, but it returns! How can I fix this issue so that this trouble condition stops recurring? I want the alarm system to stay connected and active in relation to all sensors in the house, so taking the system out is not an option I wish to avail of.

What I have:
  • Alarm arm/ disarm code
  • Installer code
  • User manual for

I don't have the master code.

Can any of you help please?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Old 02-25-18, 09:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
You have a DSC PC5020 (AKA "Power 864") with an PC5928 audio interface module.
It was probably a relatively elaborate installation, and is still a good quality base system.

Installer manual: http://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13809
Programming work sheet: http://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13810
Audio Interface manual: http://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=14090

Since you have the installer code, this trouble 4 is relatively easy to fix:

"DSC: Power series panels (632, 832, 864); trouble 3 (telephone line trouble) and/or trouble 4 (failure to communicate) shows on new/defaulted system.

DSC panels default to the communicator turned on, and TLM (telephone line monitoring) turned on. If you will not be using the communicator functions, you have to turn them off by entering programming, turning off option 7 in section 015, and option 1 in section 380."
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...e-posting.html

Also, since you have the installer code, you change the master user code in programming location 007.

Old 02-26-18, 02:16 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dear MrRonFL

Thanks very much for your prompt and helpful response.

Section 3.4 of the Installation Manual (Programming toggle options) mentioned: "Some Sections contain several toggle options. The panel will use zone lights 1 through 8 to indicate if the different options are enabled or disabled. Refer to the Programming Worksheets to determine what each option represents and whether the light should be ON or OFF for your application."

The Programming Worksheet, on pages 7 and 22, indicates that option 7 in section 015 and option 1 in section 380, are in default position "ON". Since those zone lights were ON when I entered the programming mode, I have pressed the corresponding number on the keypad so that the lighted number was turned "OFF".

I hope this has fixed this issue. I may need to return here to ask for your help again if the issue resurfaces.

Warm regards

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: