ademco alarm problems

Old 03-07-18, 09:51 AM
ademco alarm problems

I have an ademco alarm system I believe to be a 4140 xmp with 3 stations. Two are operating normally with one inop and showing message OC I believe the keypad is a 6127 and the green blue red and yellow wires appear to be hard wired into the terminal. Any thoughts on remedy or replacement would be appreciate. I have ordered a new battery because of the age of the old one. If I have posted improperly I apologize as I have never used this site before. Huffman

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-18, 03:33 PM
"OC" mean "Open Circuit", ihdicating that at least one of keypad's 4 wires is either severed or loose from its connection at the panel or keypad. Check the panel connections first. The keypad wires are connected to the 4140XMP panel's terminals 6, 7, 8, and 9. Don't just look at the wires on those terminals, test each one with a firm tug on the wire. A loose wire can hide in a wire bunch if you just tug on the bunch. Tug at each individual wire to make sure it's firmly attached.

If the 6, 7, 8, &9 wires are firmly attached, you'll need to take the keypad off the wall and check the connections there. While you have it off, check the model number of the keypad, it's printed on the back of the mounting plate. The wires may be attached by screw terminals or spliced onto keypad lead-in wires (aka wire leads).

Download the Installer's Manual if you don't already have one.
http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Adem...n%20Manual.pdf

If all connections are good and the keypad is still displaying OC, then you're probably dealing with a severed wire. Sometimes solid-core wire will break inside its insulation near where it's connected--feel each individual wire to check for that. I can usually find a broken wire by running my thumbnail along the wire. You'll know what it feels like if you find it.

Old 03-08-18, 06:12 AM
All wires appear tight. If you pull hard enough I assume they come loose from the clip. Wires in wall are spliced and appear undamaged. Keypad is a 6128. Anymore thoghts.? huffman

Old 03-08-18, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Simple test: Take the keypad back to main board, and connect it there with a length of known good wire.

If it works in that configuration, then the wiring between the motherboard and the keypad location has been damaged. If not, it's a failed keypad.

Old 03-11-18, 07:00 AM
not sure how the 4 wires on the 6128 are disconnected. do they just pullout of the black housing? All 4 green lights on the back of the key pad are illuminated if that means anything. If I just replace this key pad what model should I use and how do I connect the 4 wires? thanx for help

Old 03-11-18, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure how your keypad wires are connected either, because some KPs have screw terminals and some KPs have black plugs with 4 sockets that push onto a set of 4 pins on the KP circuit board. Since it's not obvious how your KP wires are connected, I'm guessing you have the plug. That might be the "black housing" you mention. The plug has 4 wire leads that are spliced to a cable. The splices are usually either soldered or use crimped connections. It's possible that when you find those splices that you'll find the Open Circuit.

If your KP has the 4-pin plug, then you'll need to cut at the wires at the splices and re-splice them later; assuming the keypad works at the control panel. If your keypad doesn't work with the wire leads connected directly to the 4140XMP, then obviously you'd wait for a new keypad. If you're lucky, it'll have screw terminals so you don't need to splice wires.

Old 03-11-18, 04:13 PM
Do the 4 illuminated lights on the circuit board of the key pad indicate anything about weather the leads or the keypad is the fault? Wires are crimped behind the wall and the 4 leads fit into plastic black piece in the 6128 keypad. Won!t know what the connection is until I yank them out as their is no terminal or release. What is the recommended replacement key board with terminals. Thanks for your help

Old 03-11-18, 09:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some of the older keypads don't have terminals, they have a short wire harness that is usually crimp connected to the field wiring, and plugs into the pins on the keypad.

The current replacement that would be compatible with this system is the 6150.

The led back lights just mean that the keypad is getting power. The OC condition means that the keypad has power but is not getting data from the alarm control; which means that the yellow and/or green wires are that actual problem.

6128 manual: http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...ion/6139v8.pdf

Old 03-13-18, 10:25 AM
It is as you describe with leads crimp connected to fied wiring of like colers except for yellow being connected to a white field wire. The harness appears to be plugged into the keyboard and is snug. All appears to be tight and unbroken. I can undue the crimps and redo them and then to disconnect at key board I will have to pull them til they separate. Not sure if they will reconnect or not as I don!t know the nature of the connection. I could get a new keyboard hopefully with terminals and reconnect wires after stripping them and see if it was the fault. Going deeper into the wall pasr the crimps is problematic but maybe required. Appreciate your time and expertise. Huffman

Old 03-22-18, 10:25 AM
I reconnected the crimped leads and the OC disapeared. Now this station has both red and green lights steady. All other stations show not ready. I believe I solved the OC but not sure what to do next. Thanx Huffman

Old 03-22-18, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The red and green lights both being on would indicate that the system is armed, but you are saying the other keypads are showing not ready...

Since this model system doesn't do multiple partitions, I'm starting to suspect that there is something wrong with the keypad.

Old 04-19-18, 06:42 AM
I have powered down the system and replaced the defective 6128 with a purchased one from eBay. after repowering the defective pad is blank while the other two stations show green light and ready on the script. Is there something else I should try. perhaps some code I put or something. I believe I am getting power to the defective station. Thanx Huffman

Old 04-19-18, 10:08 AM
It usually helps if you continue to give model numbers for equipment, but I'm going to assume you replaced your non-working KP with a 6128 or a 6150.

The newer high-end home panels after the 4140XMP used "addressable" keypads, so the panel could tell which KP was talking to it--necessary because the later models had to match KPs to whichever partition the keypad was assigned to.

The 4140XMP didn't use addressable keypads, so your new KPs must be set to "non-addressable" mode, i.e., address 31. This makes the KP act like a non-addressable KP. There's a good chance that your "new" KP arrived with an address between 16 and 20.

If your keypad didn't come with installation instructions, then I strongly recommend you google and download the the instructions for your specific "new" keypad, whatever it is.
Here's a quick copy-and-paste of how to address your KP to address 31. It's for a 6150 and is how to address any current KP, but you should have the manual for your specific keypad (and for all your equipment, if you don't already).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SETTING THE KEYPAD ADDRESS
The keypad can either be set for an address of 00-30, or to
the non-addressable mode (31). The keypad's default
address is 31. <--(no longer true)

To change the keypad's address, do the following:
1. Enter address mode: Power up the keypad. Within 60
seconds of power-up, press and hold down the [1] and [3]
keys at the same time for 3 seconds. (If unable to enter
address mode, power up and try again.)
The current keypad address will be displayed, and the
cursor will be under the "tens" digit. If 10 seconds have
passed with no key entry, the keypad automatically
exits address mode. You must power down, power up
and start address mode again.
NOTE: The keypad will not enter address mode if the
panel to which it is connected is in programming mode.
2. Set the current address to "00": Press [0] to clear the
current "tens" digit. The cursor will move to the "ones"
digit position. Press [0] to clear the current "ones" digit.
The cursor will move back to the "tens" digit position.
3. Enter the keypad's address: Enter the proper "tens" digit
of the keypad's address. The cursor will move to the
"ones" digit position. Enter the proper "ones" digit of the
keypad's address. Note that address "31" sets the
keypad to non-addressable mode.
4. Exit address mode:
Press [✱] to save the displayed address and exit address mode.

Old 04-20-18, 11:33 AM
iIt is a 4140 xmp and the defective 6128 is being replaced with a 6128 purchased on eBay I was under the impression that all that was required was pulling the power, replacing the keypad and repowering. As reported the other two stations have green lights and ready script while the replaced unit shows no light or script but has power. Appreciate the help. Huffman

Old 04-20-18, 04:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As Chosunone has suggested, have you checked the keypad address? A factory new keypad will come set for non addresable mode, but a used one may have been set to a different system model.

Old 04-20-18, 06:27 PM
Ii am not sure how you check the address or get in the address mode

Old 04-21-18, 01:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Chosunone posted the step by step in post #13.

Old 04-23-18, 12:15 PM
My thanks to RonFl and chosen one I have replaced the alarm pad and changed the adress successfully. Could not have done it without your help. Huffman

Old 04-23-18, 03:12 PM
Glad we were able to help.